Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: config ideas for MythBE/NAS + Myth/XBMC/Boxee FE

Hybrid View

Default config ideas for MythBE/NAS + Myth/XBMC FE

Myth Back-end + NAS (already own the parts; cept 3x 1/1.5TB HDD)
    This machine will do all video capturing/transcoding.
    It will also be the Backup Server/NAS....

1x Old Lian-Li midi-Tower or Chen Mei FT
    1x Gigabyte 8600GTS .................................... [take transcoding load off CPU w/VDPAU or is this def. not doable?]
    1x Hauppauge HVR-2200 .................................. [may eventually add a 2nd one]
    1x GA-P35-DQ6 (ATX form-factor)
    1x TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF ................................. [2x2GB DDR2 1066; 4GB enough?]
    1x Core2Duo (conroe) E6420 2.13Ghz ..................... [may underclock/volt slightly?]
    1x Antec True Power 3.0 650W ........................... [Less wattage possible?]
    Storage Sub-sys:
    1x 1TB WD Black ........................................ [video capture disk, can it handle 4 simultaneous HD streams?]
    1x 150GB 10k RPM Raptor ................................. [boot/system volume?]
    3x 1/1.5TB 7.2k RPM HDD ....................... [For content storage & BU, may not bother w/RAID till get hw controller?]

Myth/XBMC Front-end (don't have the parts; cept where mentioned)
    This will be the media player & MAME PC...
    Later (6mth) I'll buy a top-end GPU that'll be swapped-in sometimes for gaming.

1x mATX H57 or Q57 mobo. ......... [make/model?]
    1x Intel Core i3 530
    2x DDR3 1GB ...................... [make/model?]
    1x 30GB SSD or USB Flash*? + 74GB 10k RPM Raptor? (for local storage; already own)
    OR
    1x 1TB WD Black or Samsung F3? [innermost sectors -20GB?- for OS, outermost for local storage]
    1x Xonar Essence ST (PCI; already own)
    1x H6 (Essence daughterboard; already own)
    1x PSU ................................ [perhaps BE PSU is best here if I intend to use strong GPU sometimes; make/model?]
    1x Case ............................... [make/model?]
    1x nV GT220 ....................... [only if IGP+CPU not enough; make/model?]

For the back-end I was thinking of doing a minimal Ubuntu install & only adding what is needed.
    For the front-end I was thinking of starting the same way and gradually adding MythTVFE, XBMC, and maybe a lightweight DE like crunchbang etc.
    Interested in peoples thoughts on what I'm missing hardware or software wise or just some general advice.
    Thanks!
    ________
    discarded:
    74GB 10k RPM Raptor ....................... [very old -not used much- slightly damaged connector so connection always a bit loose]
    *4GB USB flash ................................ [aside from the fact that 4GB is too small, is USB flash too much of a poor alt to SSD?]
    80GB 7.2k HDD, make/model YTBD.
    Last edited by jalyst; 01-24-2010 at 12:22 PM.

The Raptors are a bit of a waste in a media server / NAS. You would probably be better off using them in a workstation unless you just have them already kicking around because of switching to SSD's. Otherwise all I can say is make sure that you have lots of storage capacity for HD capturing. In the year of capturing on my media server I ran through the 6 TB of internal storage in less then a year of stuff I want to keep. Since then I've added a couple of additional eSata 4 in 1 enclosures and populated them with more drives and soon will be getting another. HD chews up the TB's fast. For the OS on the server I actually use a cheap thumbdrive as it just takes up a USB port and is fast enough for the ever so rare reboot.

Yeah, I'm up to 2.5TB just for SD shows and videos on MythTV and that's generally transcoding them to low bit-rate H.264 after capture, so 1TB is not much for HD unless you're going to watch shows quickly and delete them.

If I was to build it again I'd be tempted to use a small SSD for the OS to improve boot time; even with a bunch of non-essential software installed the OS partition is only about 12GB with about 6GB used so it doesn't need much.

Yeah just had them kicking round, might move the two raptor's to the front-end, but eventually I'd like to have a SSD in the front-end and maybe 1x 1TB drive. Any recommendations there?

For the actual capturing drive I was going to use the black. What do you reckon I should use in a RAID5 array for the BE/NAS? WD RE3 1TB or Samsung F3's? I think 2TB's still have a tad too much of a premium...

All my drives are WD 1TB Blacks, love that drive. I wouldn't bother going with the RE3 the loads your going to have on them doesn't justify it's threading capability. As far as samsung drives go I couldn't say, had a massive failure rate with some of their older models and it was enough for me to stay away from them. Once bitten, twice shy.
    Last edited by deanjo; 01-22-2010 at 11:08 AM.

I really only recommend Raid 5 in a situation where there is need for it. Unless you have spare identical drives on hand to rebuild the array after disk failure it really doesn't do much. Besides Raid 5 writes using softraid I've always found less then stellar. Chances are by the time one drive fails that model may not be available anymore to replace it.

so you don't reckon bother with any redundancy?
    It's also meant to be a NAS for all content.

Quote Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
    I don't bother for media stuff. If a drive craps out I can live without that media on the drive. Anything I want to keep indefinitely I back up to a external drive that then gets disconnected and turned off and put away. I generally replace critical drives on a 2 year rotation anyways before they fail.

Quote Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
    So far I've never had a complete and sudden failure of a hard drive: it's always been preceded by bad sectors that gave me time to copy files onto a new disk. I think the most common occurrence is a drive that stops working soon after installation due to firmware/manufacturing fault, whereas old drives generally fail slowly.

For my MythTV box all the recordings go on one disk because I won't cry too much if it fails, while any important files are on the other disk and I back them up now and again. So far that's been fine.

However, when the next generation of hard drives come out I'm thinking of moving all the files to Raid-Z2 on an OpenSolaris server and having the MythTV backend write to it over the LAN. At least in principle, ZFS seems much more robust than traditional RAID.

Quote Originally Posted by movieman View Post
    However, when the next generation of hard drives come out I'm thinking of moving all the files to Raid-Z2 on an OpenSolaris server and having the MythTV backend write to it over the LAN. At least in principle, ZFS seems much more robust than traditional RAID.
    Yeah I had plans for something like that....
    But rather than over network I was going to have opensolaris (or some other spin, there are a few other options) in a VM sitting on a bare-metal hypervisor (native VMM) & the MythTV BE in another VM.
    But that was to be on a core i7 based system, & that's on hold for the moment...
    Last edited by jalyst; 01-23-2010 at 07:24 AM.