Thread: Team Chat

Default Team Chat

Has anyone ever heard of a multiplayer game (say a CC-like FPS, win or linux) with team chat, where a player's voice is placed at the correct position within the map, with a natural distribution of volume in the player's vicinity?

Kinda like standing somewhere and shouting at the noobs/dudes around you?

Or is that the normal way team chat works anyway?

TIA

Mumble (http://mumble.sourceforge.net) has support for some games and does exactly this.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Mumble (http://mumble.sourceforge.net) has support for some games and does exactly this.
    indeed. I would like to note that the recent release has some interesting changes. Mumble only does positioning for certain games and platforms. might want to see the website.

Thanks, guys.
    "Positional audio", that's exactly what I meant (apparently I'm too late to claim a patent on that ).

Still wondering why this is not in widespread use. It should enhance the gaming experience quite a bit. On the other hand, it could be a bit awkward, too.

Quote Originally Posted by not.sure View Post
    Thanks, guys.
    "Positional audio", that's exactly what I meant (apparently I'm too late to claim a patent on that ).

Still wondering why this is not in widespread use. It should enhance the gaming experience quite a bit. On the other hand, it could be a bit awkward, too.
    Actually, it *is* in widespread use Hosting providers offer paid slots on their Mumble servers. It's not as widespread as Ventrilo, but still a lot of people use it.

a decent north american provider is hard to come by tho. Plenty of german ones. Plenty that use cogent. I have some room on my server for w.e (especially sense im not even paying for it) so if you need a north american host juz send me a pm.