Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Radeon Gallium on ubuntu

Thanks for the replies. Having updated to the latest xorg-edgers I am also seeing a BIG improvement on openarena - I am now getting approx 60FPS on r300g which is significantly faster than the 44FPS I was getting on r300

I am also getting in excess of 1600 FPS on glxgears, so it seems that a recent update has made some significant improvements.

Google Earth is slightly faster than it was, however it is still too slow to use, so not sure what's up with that.

I haven't been able to try Nexuiz yet I'm afraid.

For general desktop use I have found the Gallium driver very reliable - barely any difference between r300 and r300g in this respect, but that's probably to be expected.

Overall I have been very impressed with the r300g driver so far, and is clear that issues are being resolved a fast rate - keep up the good work!!!

For the last week or so, Gallium3d updates are killing Compiz. My desktop locks up after being displayed. I need to rotate the cube to see screen updates. Frustrating. There is bug report already open.

I've found that compiz works just fine with the latest r300g driver if you set LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT to 1

Quote Originally Posted by adamk View Post
    I've found that compiz works just fine with the latest r300g driver if you set LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT to 1
    Where do you set that?

How are you starting compiz?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by adamk View Post
    How are you starting compiz?

Adam
    I guess, by enabling Special Effects in Ubuntu 10.04. I have cmopiz manager installed where I can select and enable compiz features.

Bah... I just remembered that Ubuntu did something really stupid and stopped using compiz-manager as the default script for starting compiz, so I'm not sure if there is a supported way to enable LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT for compiz in Ubuntu these days.

I guess you could install fusion-icon (which I believe is still in the Ubuntu repos) and use that to start compiz. Inside fusion-icon there is an option to enable Indirect Rendering.

Adam

Same problem here. No screen updates.

Had same problem - the latest update seems to have fixed it.

Dear tormod and sarvatt,

what is your plan, when will you add the r600g driver to the xorg-edgers ppa? It can already run glxgears and ioquake games (if I remember correctly), so it might be in a state to start testing it/regularly checking out how it evolves.

Thanks in advance!