Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 147

Thread: Adobe Rants Over Linux Video Acceleration APIs

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by admax88 View Post
    nVIDIA's open source efforts? Haha yeah right. Just because the API is documented does not make it open source.
    Ah, good old NIH syndrome. We totally can't use that Wheel thing because those jerks over there invented it! Let's stick with the Square even though it's technically inferior!

    Quote Originally Posted by admax88 View Post
    Also if we just pick vdpau then we're stuck with nVIDIA hardware. In my opinion VA-API is a better choice at this point since it has VDPAU and XvBA backends, plus direct support on intel hardware. This way we can support hardware accelerated video on nVIDIA/ATI/Intel GPUs, rather than just nVIDIA.
    Nothing is preventing those other vendors from implementing VDPAU drivers.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by md1032 View Post
    Nothing is preventing those other vendors from implementing VDPAU drivers.
    Isn't that a bad idea for people that aren't Nvidia? Since NV controls the API, they would have a competitive advantage. It should be better for each other company to have an open abstraction layer, like what VA-API is doing with a VDPAU backend, right?

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    4,733

    Default

    Re Flash GL accel - last I checked this had to be forced on for everyone running FOSS drivers. Not to mention GL accel is on older cards worse than x11, not to even mention xv.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garytr24 View Post
    Isn't that a bad idea for people that aren't Nvidia? Since NV controls the API, they would have a competitive advantage. It should be better for each other company to have an open abstraction layer, like what VA-API is doing with a VDPAU backend, right?
    freedesktop.org controls the API.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garytr24 View Post
    Isn't that a bad idea for people that aren't Nvidia? Since NV controls the API, they would have a competitive advantage. It should be better for each other company to have an open abstraction layer, like what VA-API is doing with a VDPAU backend, right?
    If nv controls the API then you might as well say intel controls VA-API (you know the company that has been getting hammered on in court with anticompetitive practices). Nvidia made it painfully clear since the very beginning that vendors are free to implement their own vdpau support but it seems some people like to append their own baseless conclusions about it's license.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by admax88 View Post
    nVIDIA's open source efforts? Haha yeah right. Just because the API is documented does not make it open source.

    Also if we just pick vdpau then we're stuck with nVIDIA hardware. In my opinion VA-API is a better choice at this point since it has VDPAU and XvBA backends, plus direct support on intel hardware. This way we can support hardware accelerated video on nVIDIA/ATI/Intel GPUs, rather than just nVIDIA.
    the api is documented and is open source i though.t

    Quote Originally Posted by md1032 View Post
    Nothing is preventing those other vendors from implementing VDPAU drivers.
    that's exactly what i was trying to say! i didn't mean that everyone should develop for nvidia hardware. that's just dumb. i meant that intel and ati should take up vdpau.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    203

    Default The follow-up post is available now

    Hi guys, the follow-up post mentioned in that blog entry is now available, and explains the thought process better, and answers the questions posed in the previous blog's comments, plus some other common questions about Flash, CPU's, and GPU's.

    http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2..._problems.html

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by md1032 View Post
    Ah, good old NIH syndrome. We totally can't use that Wheel thing because those jerks over there invented it!
    Yeah, why did NVIDIA create VDPAU when good old VAAPI already existed?

    I don't necessarily see anything wrong with companies choosing to implement vdpau acceleration in their drivers, it's certainly possible. But the real question is why should they? VAAPI already supports Intel + ATI (sort of) + Nvidia, so it doesn't make much sense from their perspective to suddenly change their development to focus on a different API that nvidia is pushing for.

    I mean, sure it's a little buggier for now, but if they all suddenly switched to vdpau their vdpau implementations would all be even buggier. Hopefully they'll get all the bugs ironed out soon.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Yeah, why did NVIDIA create VDPAU when good old VAAPI already existed?
    VA-API was an a slow train to nowhere, was featureless ( and somewhat still is lagging ) and really was only useful at the time on the GMA500 (and we all know how well it's supported). Nvidia got the ball rolling and was extremely well received and adopted for various projects.

    You might want to check out http://video.linuxfoundation.org/video/1575 as it also covers some yet untapped potential of vdpau.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    VA-API was an a slow train to nowhere, was featureless ( and somewhat still is lagging ) and really was only useful at the time on the GMA500 (and we all know how well it's supported). Nvidia got the ball rolling and was extremely well received and adopted for various projects.

    You might want to check out http://video.linuxfoundation.org/video/1575 as it also covers some yet untapped potential of vdpau.
    Sure, but NVidia could have improved VA-API rather than implementing their own completely from scratch. Maybe it was easier for them to start from a clean base, but it does mean that attacks on VA-API being NIH-syndrome are pretty misplaced.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •