Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running Nine USB-Based Displays On Linux

Default Running Nine USB-Based Displays On Linux

Phoronix: Running Nine USB-Based Displays On Linux

Last May we were briefed that DisplayLink would provide open-source driver support on Linux. DisplayLink is a company that makes graphics processors capable of powering high resolution displays that work over a USB connection...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzkyOQ

So with one driver we will have support of every usb card of this company?

USB simply doesn't have enough bandwidth to operate a monitor of any useful resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstm View Post
    USB simply doesn't have enough bandwidth to operate a monitor of any useful resolution.
    It may not be enough for general video playback, but it might be useful for relatively static stuff. For example, consider the arrival/departure displays at an airport - they need a bunch of screens to display the information, but the contents don't need to change very often.

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstm View Post
    My wife used one of these (on Windows) for a couple of years, running 1680x1050. I never heard a complaint from her. No gaming, but web videos displayed just fine. If I remember correctly, they compress the data stream.

USB3 will probably change this, it has a lot larger bandwidth.

that is pretty awesome!

I can see an application for this in running projectors for presentations. Can do away with the VGA plug on netbooks for example, add in a few more (and more useful) USB plugs.

Are these "graphics cards" capable of running a modern compositing desktop with effects (like KDE 4 or sth.) only using fully opensourced drivers?

THEIR? For crying out loud, Michael, please read the articles before posting them...