Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adobe's Linux Video API Rant Extended

Hybrid View

Default Adobe's Linux Video API Rant Extended

Phoronix: Adobe's Linux Video API Rant Extended

Adobe's lead engineer for providing Flash Player support on Linux, Mike Melanson, started ranting about Linux video acceleration APIs. As many said in our forums, Melanson prefers ranting to actually improving their Linux stack with better 64-bit support, etc...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzkzMw

Wow. Gnash did something they couldn't and they are saying it is impossible.

Instead of doing YUV->RGB, couldn't they just (somehow) layer the elements on top of the video?

Smile F**k flash

f**k it. It's a nightmare.

HTML5 ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by Peterson Spaceport View Post
    f**k it. It's a nightmare.

HTML5 ftw.
    I agree.

While i'm a bit sceptical of HTML5 because of the current h264 (non)support, It's still a better solution than Flash. Even if all HTML5 pages going forward were to use patent encumbered codecs, the end users could still at least play them. Flash just doesn't work right, period.

It would be great if things were all HTML5 going forward, and Gnash evolved enough to support most of the legacy pages still around. One can dream.

Your opinion might be correct, but this is the most unprofessional article I have ever read on Phoronix. You sound a bit like you have been drinking tonight.

Anyway, I hope video-acceleration does come to flash soon...

Quote Originally Posted by jdeslip View Post
    this is the most unprofessional article I have ever read on Phoronix.
    You must be new here...

Colorspace Conversion: Isn't it simple to have 50MB of RAM reserved for YUV -> RGB conversion lookup table, for users that have no HW acceleration, but have plenty (well, 50MB) of RAM? This table can be shared in RAM for all running video encoding/decoding instances. In such table you can simply define RGB for each YUV combination and have image converted in no time.

Scaling: How is scaling a problem? Did Second Reality demo scaled a bold guy's face in full screen on 486 back in Ronald Reagan era? Yes, it also used look-up table, you don't have to calculate everything all the time. For video scaled to 1920x1080 screen (size of source image is not important), you need only 8MB lookup table. Again, conversion is done in no time.

Can somebody enlighten me why things that were simple in late eighties are complicated and _slow_ again on more then 100x times faster CPUs?

my comment on the Adobe penguin blog still awaits moderation for the last 12 hours or so.

i've just asked why Adobe did not ask about/for those needed API changes in the nVidia Linux drivers while their teams worked on the Windows Flash 10.1 and 19x.xx integration.

i find it hard to believe that while working at that no one said "hey guys maybe we/you can do that on Linux & Mac too since our/your driver core shares 90% or whatever of the code"

Quote Originally Posted by Peterson Spaceport View Post
    HTML5 ftw.
    ++

When you mix in liquid/scalable page design with HTML, CSS styling tailored by platform, Video, Canvas, WebGL, SVG support, Javascript manipulation, and just overall integration, and the fact that it's all a royalty free open standard - Flash is teh FAIL.

XBMC can blend UI elements on top of video and do fancy OpenGL transformations on it just fine with VDPAU. Perhaps he should look at that as a reference.

The way a normal video player would do this would be to create a subwindow of the browser window, attach the video API to that (to get the nice tear-free presentation part of it), and then use something like VdpOutputSurfaceRenderBitmapSurface to blend the (RGB) UI elements on top.