Thread: VMware's Embedded Plans For Gallium3D?

Default VMware's Embedded Plans For Gallium3D?

Phoronix: VMware's Embedded Plans For Gallium3D?

Back in December of 2008 VMware acquired Tungsten Graphics, the company that's principally behind Mesa 3D along with the Gallium3D driver architecture, the TTM memory manager, and other parts of the Linux graphics stack. A year later (this past November/December) we then found out VMware had them create a virtual Gallium3D driver for their VMware virtualization platform so that virtualized operating systems can exploit the graphics processor on the host system just not for driving OpenGL support, but OpenCL, OpenVG, OpenGL ES, and other areas covered now by the Gallium3D state tracker and going into the future (VDPAU, etc). One of the latest branches appearing for Gallium3D is coming from VMware's José Fonseca...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Nzk1MA

They're could be working on simulators for embedded devices, so developers can test their native 3D applications in a VMware-emulated Pre/droid/whatever.

That's right, I would feel much safer doing banking on my phone if there was a hypervisor running underneath. /sarcasm

Yeah, nor me. But then I don't run VMware. A more interesting use case would be to be able to run Symbian apps on your Android phone. That however could easily be done much more lightweight by gluing in a Symbian personality API. It still leaves S60, but in theory Nokia could free up that too.

Still, having to come up with a convoluted use case so as to run an S60 image on the same phone as Android, I don't see much of a future for this platform VMware's building.

Having said that, from a tech for tech's sake geek perspective, it's damn cool just the same.