Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reasoning for closed source

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmot View Post
    Oh, I tought you were talking about Cup of America style of boats. Because I do work as ''metrology'' engineer, and in every industry I have seen, about as much time is spent on ''how to build the dam thing'' than on the actual conception. if not more

The boats I designed were actually "extensions" to personal water craft (seadoos as referred by some). Take a formula 1 boat or a deep V but use a PWC as a powerplant and you get the idea of the mass number of options available. Mounting brackets cost to produce about $20 to make and was installed with a rachet and a wrench but the R&D that went towards the proper mounting height, alignment, etc far exceeded the materials, mold and manpower it took to produce those.

are you saying that AMD finally released *ALL* the technical specs needed to create a ''perfect'' and ''complete'' driver for every card?
    I cant promise this (Im not an dev) but in the past someone says that all needed Informations are out.

are you saying that AMD finally released *ALL* the technical specs needed to create a ''perfect'' and ''complete'' driver for every card?
    No, not all specifications are available. Enough to create a great and very-close-to-almost-complete driver, though.

Yes because the last part UVD is not needed because you also can handle this in shader!

small changed of subject... what about BIOS? thats old tech. Hardly anything of value
    there are amd Guys working on Corebot opensource bios! ...

To the business model of a hardware manufacturer, it is not a piece of hardware, it is a "product", and you as a consumer are only supposed to be interested in the "product", not the hardware. By locking up the firmware/driver code, companies can create different "products" by enabling/disabling different sets of features on what is essentially identical hardware, and then sell them at different prices to different market segments.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
    To the business model of a hardware manufacturer, it is not a piece of hardware, it is a "product", and you as a consumer are only supposed to be interested in the "product", not the hardware. By locking up the firmware/driver code, companies can create different "products" by enabling/disabling different sets of features on what is essentially identical hardware, and then sell them at different prices to different market segments.
    ^^ this

and also stupid management.

and wrt bios, i find it amusing that sgi in the early 90s had a graphical bios which ran a windowing environment in 1280x1024 or higher with a point and click interface while sun has had openboot for ages with a built in programming language to allow scripting (and even debugging for the brave) which you can enter at any time (even while solaris is running) by pressing a key combination.

now it's 2010 and the average pc bios is still an ugly ncurses-style interface with extremely limited capabilities. i think a good bios would be like tinycore linux with a nice point'n'click interface for the simple things and a web browser and chat client (and emacs of course ). traditional bioses are ridiculously limited.

You need a gui bios? Try EFI with mouse support. Like for ASUS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUvrXJ2fT_M

Browser and chat in bios? Yikes, I can see the headlines... "Bios flash failures up 450% from last year, users say they needed to update their Pidgin & FF"

Browser in a bios try the ASUS P7P55-D-E_Deluxe it says it has something like that, I have (and are not likely to) tried it though.