Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: ATI Radeon KMS Leaves Staging Area In 2.6.33

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,115

    Default ATI Radeon KMS Leaves Staging Area In 2.6.33

    Phoronix: ATI Radeon KMS Leaves Staging Area In 2.6.33

    David Airlie has called upon Linus to pull in a new set of DRM patches for the Linux 2.6.33 kernel, which should land with the Linux 2.6.33-rc7 release. These graphics patches for the Linux kernel bring a few fixes for TTM, Radeon DisplayPort tweaks, r600 blit mutex, and support for the VMware graphics driver with older versions of the VMware Workstation...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Nzk0Mg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: ATI Radeon KMS Leaves Staging Area In 2.6.33

    David Airlie has called upon Linus to pull in a new set of DRM patches for the Linux 2.6.33 kernel, which should land with the Linux 2.6.33-rc7 release. These graphics patches for the Linux kernel bring a few fixes for TTM, Radeon DisplayPort tweaks, r600 blit mutex, and support for the VMware graphics driver with older versions of the VMware Workstation...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Nzk0Mg

    Hooookay. Will RD890GX/880G chipsets be Evergreen? They should be here within a few months. Will there be even preliminary native kernel Evergreen support by then? Inquiring minds want to know...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    772

    Default

    From what hardware news sites are saying, it doesn't look like 880G/890GX will be Evergreen-based. All the slides seem to say DX10 or DX10.1, which suggests the R600/R700 generation.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
    From what hardware news sites are saying, it doesn't look like 880G/890GX will be Evergreen-based. All the slides seem to say DX10 or DX10.1, which suggests the R600/R700 generation.
    It's quite common for AMD embedded GPUs to use last-gen 3D technology, coupled with the latest ouput support, UVD, etc. which would require the r800 modesetting support even if the Mesa 3D code only required a few updates from r700.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in front of my box :p
    Posts
    811

    Default

    *dances like a madman in the laboratory here*

    Finally! Officially! Oh please, Linus, give us a stable 2.6.33 release!
    Thanks AMD/free devs!

    Now it just needs power management (which would've been one of my primary concerns since my passively cooled 3870 becomes quite hot wo. PM) and some more ... but hey, I'll soon be able to enjoy KMS. Awesome. (that means goodbye tricky fb console setup, right?)
    I hope my userland will be ready for this soon enough.

    Cheers!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Yeah, 2.6.33 plus Mesa 7.8 is going to rock!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,798

    Default

    KMS is still not ready in 2.6.33. It's simply too slow and full of graphical glitches (I'm on an RV770). But it's good that it's out of the staging area, as any promising driver should.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madbiologist View Post
    Yeah, 2.6.33 plus Mesa 7.8 is going to rock!
    It's working very good here (except to problems mentioned by RealNC), but it will start rocking when Gallium3D will be ready :>

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,932

    Default

    IIRC, the main holdup was getting the infrastructure for powersaving ready.

    Does this mean that kernel-based powersaving is coming soon?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,395

    Default

    power saving will likely come in 2.6.34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •