Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: openSUSE 11.3 Milestone 1 Released

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,652

    Default openSUSE 11.3 Milestone 1 Released

    Phoronix: openSUSE 11.3 Milestone 1 Released

    While Red Hat is busy at work on Fedora 13 and Canonical is busy working on their Long-Term Support release of Ubuntu 10.04, Novell is working on openSUSE 11.3. This next upgrade to openSUSE is due out in mid-July, but the first milestone release is now available.Milestone 1 of openSUSE 11.3 pulls in the latest GNOME 2.30 development packages and the release candidate of KDE 4.4 Software Compilation...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Nzk0Nw

  2. #2

    Cool

    openSUSE releases are so unexciting. Nothing else happens besides package updates and a bunch of Yast bug-fixes

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Being a KDE 4 guy I want to like OpenSuse, I really do. I just can't stand Yast and yes I tried 11.2. It is just far too bloated and difficult. Too much "crap" all over the GUI package manager for example; hugely overcomplicated. I'm not a great fan of zypper either though I admit it's pretty feature-full

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodlum View Post
    Being a KDE 4 guy I want to like OpenSuse, I really do. I just can't stand Yast and yes I tried 11.2. It is just far too bloated and difficult. Too much "crap" all over the GUI package manager for example; hugely overcomplicated. I'm not a great fan of zypper either though I admit it's pretty feature-full
    I completely agree with everything you said.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    37

    Default

    i agree too.I dont like ubuntu for the popularity but it is as simple as sudo apt-get install ... Fedora is to "vanilla" in the look and feel way and Mint is too feature full.OpenSUSE is just eyecandy and updated packages, but in terms of use..

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    125

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodlum View Post
    Being a KDE 4 guy I want to like OpenSuse, I really do. I just can't stand Yast and yes I tried 11.2. It is just far too bloated and difficult. Too much "crap" all over the GUI package manager for example; hugely overcomplicated.
    Then install KPackageKit. It's not like anybody is forced to use YaST...


    Quote Originally Posted by lolren View Post
    i agree too.I dont like ubuntu for the popularity but it is as simple as sudo apt-get install
    So "sudo apt-get install" is OK, but SUSE's "sudo zypper install" is not? WTF?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peterson Spaceport View Post
    openSUSE releases are so unexciting. Nothing else happens besides package updates and a bunch of Yast bug-fixes
    What would you consider "exciting"?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Good news. I like OpenSuSE for their stable KDE platform (kubuntu really sucks) and their build service (OBS). Yast is something you have to get used to (is very powerful after that to setup about everything), and zypper install packagename always works.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •