Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44

Thread: AMD working on XvMC for r300g?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    One of the keys to playing HD content with a software decoder is intelligent frame dropping. If the A/V goes out of sync, it is quite a severe decoder problem. I notice that ffmpeg has this problem. Anybody know if there's a way to force it to keep in sync?
    For mplayer (which uses ffmpeg IIRC) I use:
    Code:
    mplayer -lavdopts skipframe=nonref:skiploopfilter=all file.avi
    There is a -framedrop option, but it didn't work for me.
    Using the above command let me play a 720p video on my Eee PC at about 17-20fps without the audio getting way ahead of the video.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    many problems with what you say but ....

    " lol with XV even my old pc athlon x2 3800 was able to play H264 1080p videos without lost sync "
    B.O.L.L.O.C.K.S is a very good word for that.

    try decoding this PlanetEarthBirds.mkv 2 minute clip
    http://mirror05.x264.nl/Dark/x264clips/

    http://mirror05.x264.nl/Dark/x264cli...EarthBirds.mkv

    if your going to make claims like that jrch2k8 at least make sure to use quality 1080 High Profile Cabac x264 Encodes and not some bullish AVIVO Encoded junk Encode from a dix you want to call HD H264 1080p videos.
    ok i admit is not that file i played, i tested it with a torrented movie in h264 "the rise of the lycans" but is true i dont know exactly how it was ripped (not a video professional) but is true that it played just fine(and it looked extremly nice in my hdtv) so i kept that pc as HTPC since then.

    now i think is very nice transcoded (eye comparison not profesional in anyway) cuz i have the BD of that movie and an sony BD player and if there is any difference in the quality is not visible to me, but like i said im not a video professional

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,929

    Default

    I've watched stuff such as Transporter 3 in full HD on a single core of my Phenom II.

    The birds still totally slaughtered me.

    There can be considerable difference between different HD content. Don't underestimate it. I don't think that any processor our there can do all of this in software on a single core.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5

    Default

    The "bird test" is meant to be a joke in case anyone was wondering. It has been re-encoded at over 100mb/s at points.. Max for "any" currently supported codec is still 40mb/s at 1080p..

    That has been a joke "benchmark" floating around for quite some time..

    If you re-encode it to proper levels, it will play just fine.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,144

    Default

    Lol, even my VDPAU-enabled laptop cannot keep up with the birds video (Core 2 @1.8GHz, Quadro NVS135M, 195.30 drivers, reading from a *ramdisk*).

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,929

    Default

    Hahahaha, well they got me.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_o View Post
    The "bird test" is meant to be a joke in case anyone was wondering. It has been re-encoded at over 100mb/s at points.. Max for "any" currently supported codec is still 40mb/s at 1080p..

    That has been a joke "benchmark" floating around for quite some time..

    If you re-encode it to proper levels, it will play just fine.
    err NO, thats a nice bit of FUD or wrong assumptions there ghost_o .

    to be clear, it is Not a joke "benchmark"
    it infact plays fine on PS3, popcorn,and the right PC hardware and decoder,as it stands right Now,(putting the video and audio into another container being perfectly fine if you need to OC but No Re-encoding the video to cheat) No re-Encoding down to a lower spec, thats the point.

    sure, its hard to decode, but it can be Decoded and played back smooothly Today,coreAVC helps OC.

    if Your H.264 Decoder Cant do it. then its time to sit down and seriously refactor YOUR software decoder until it can,just like BetaBoy and his team did.

    theres a reason that clip is used as a benchmark and its because its hard to play but not impossible on todays PC hardware, dont blame the clip, use it to see if Your hardware and software decoders good enough, and if not make them good enough like others have done, simples.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    Lol, even my VDPAU-enabled laptop cannot keep up with the birds video (Core 2 @1.8GHz, Quadro NVS135M, 195.30 drivers, reading from a *ramdisk*).
    try it again with an i7,or even i5 and i3, i dont think you will have to many problems then.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    459

    Default

    will someone please set the 1 minute time for the board back to how it used to be, as more than a minute passes and it wont let you edit Your posts to add or edit them, 10 minutes is a good generic limit if you really must set one.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    theres a reason that clip is used as a benchmark and its because its hard to play but not impossible on todays PC hardware
    But is he right that at points the clip is encoded at such high bit rates not reflecting any real world material out there? Because if he is it might be interesting for a select group of people whether or not the clip is playable by H.264 decoder X, but most people won't give a toss about it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •