Thread: Power Management on r6xxx

Default Power Management on r6xxx

I've just recently gotten DRM working with a ATI Mobility 3650 (r600) on Debian in a Thinkpad W500. I've read that power management wasn't support when running KMS. So I've turned off KMS for the time being. I have the following options in my xorg.conf file:

Option "DynamicClocks" "on"
    Option "ForceLowPowerMode" "off"
    Option "DynamicPM" "on"

I had to turn off ForceLowPowerMode as I was getting some pixel corruption in the mouse cursor.

I've also put this in my /etc/modules file:
    radeon dynclks=1 modeset=0

The laptop is running much warmer then with the Integrated Intel driver. It's showing 129F with the fan running at 3400rpm. I was seeing 105F with the fan running at 2500rpm with the Intel driver.

FGLRX was running around 112F when I last tried it. I pretty haven't used FGLRX for anything as it still locks the computer when running a rss glx screensaver.

Are there any other ideas or options that I can provide in order to cool down the ATI video?

Nothing to do right now. The driver does not lower voltages at all, only clocks, which means not so great improvements in temps.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Nothing to do right now. The driver does not lower voltages at all, only clocks, which means not so great improvements in temps.
    Is there any kind of guess when lower voltages will be supported? If it's a long ways out, I might as well go back to the intel driver until it's resolved.

Yeah some code to lower voltages would be nice, but lowering clocks does make a significant difference here. I haven't yet found a way to measure temps but I see a difference of approximately 20W in power consumption and also a significant reduction in fan noise here.