Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KDE Software Compilation 4.4 Released

Hybrid View

Default KDE Software Compilation 4.4 Released

Phoronix: KDE Software Compilation 4.4 Released

Following an unplanned release candidate, the final version of KDE 4.4 Software Compilation has been released. KDE 4.4 delivers on improvements to Plasma, the various KDE applications, the KDE 4.4 platform, and many other areas...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Nzk3Mw

The new kde.org is beautiful! 4.4 is great too :P

Yes, go Kde 4!!!!

KDE sucks. Why don't you people just use Gnome? Everybody else does.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    KDE sucks. Why don't you people just use Gnome? Everybody else does.
    Lol. I hope you get banned for trolling

KDE4.3-4.4 are great! I'm just thinking about switching to main use of kde after my exams took place.

for my laptop i'm not quite sure if it's a good Idea to switch. Does anyone know how hardly it impacts battery life in comparison to gnome?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragas View Post
    Does anyone know how hardly it impacts battery life in comparison to gnome?
    not sure about gnome or even actual battery life, but when upgrading from kde 3.x to 4.x I noticed that my laptop got significantly hotter. I'd guess it was due to compositing and animating everything, resulting in higher GPU frequencies.
    Disabling compositing or switching to the lightweight XRender based mode might have helped. No idea, I went back to 3.x because 4.2 failed every time I attached an external projector. I'll have to try 4.4 again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by rohcQaH View Post
    not sure about gnome or even actual battery life, but when upgrading from kde 3.x to 4.x I noticed that my laptop got significantly hotter. I'd guess it was due to compositing and animating everything, resulting in higher GPU frequencies.
    Disabling compositing or switching to the lightweight XRender based mode might have helped. No idea, I went back to 3.x because 4.2 failed every time I attached an external projector. I'll have to try 4.4 again soon.
    There's a global hotkey for enabling/disabling compositing. But I think KWin does quite well cpu/gpu usage wise in 4.3.x and probably better in 4.4. You can also set your power scheme to disable compositing as soon as your laptop goes on battery power.

I've used projectors without problems in 4.3.x in Kubuntu using the stock Intel driver.

I switched from gnome to KDE about a month ago and I can't see ever going back.

Default Eh...well

Quote Originally Posted by Ragas View Post
    KDE4.3-4.4 are great! I'm just thinking about switching to main use of kde after my exams took place.

for my laptop i'm not quite sure if it's a good Idea to switch. Does anyone know how hardly it impacts battery life in comparison to gnome?
    I mainly run a dell inspiron 1525 laptop with crappy intel 965gm graphics.
    I do notice that kde is a tish more tasking than gnome on this laptop, but it's not a huge difference over gnome w/ compiz and emerald and whatever else. I can't really attest to battery life too awfully much though, as I mainly run the laptop plugged in. I would guess gnome w/ compiz probably uses slightly less battery than kde plus composting. without composting on either, it's probably about dead even.

Just a tip: I like ubuntu a lot. I generally am more comfortable with it and find it pretty nice, but ubuntu+kde (kubuntu) isn't very good. I currently am running openSuse 11.2 with kde4.3 rc2 packages installed, and it is MUCH more performant on my laptop than is kubuntu. I'd go with a good kde distro if you don't mind switching if you intend to use kde... just so you know...

Much love for openSUSE here... why?

Personally, I tested KDE 4.3 on Arch, Kubuntu and openSUSE and vastly preferred the vanillad Arch implementation. Kubuntu was also pretty nice, if a bit buggy (high hopes for 10.04). OpenSUSE... well openSUSE sucked. I won't derail this thread (again) with details, so suffice to say that using it was an aggravating experience in pretty much all ways: from installation (for the love of gods, don't netinstall!), to boot times, drivers, updates, UI design... ugh! Total turn off.

Keep your sanity, go Arch!