Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Direct3D State Tracker Will Not Be Open-Source

Hybrid View

Default Direct3D State Tracker Will Not Be Open-Source

Phoronix: Direct3D State Tracker Will Not Be Open-Source

Zack Rusin of VMware announced the other day that they are working on a DirectX 10/11 state tracker. This caused quite a discussion in our forums and now Zack has clarified his remarks...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Nzk3NA

So no Direct3D to Linux... what a pity...

Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    So no Direct3D to Linux... what a pity...
    Not true. Joakim Sindholt is working on the open source Direct3D 9 state tracker _for Linux_ (the VMWare's one works only on Windows) and I think it's a matter of time until someone else starts working on other versions of Direct3D.

So is Windows considered its own Winsys?

Isn't a Gallium3D state tracker supposed to be OS-independent? Since the D3D state tracker Zack is talking about is Windows-dependent, I suspect it contains all sorts of badness.

Quote Originally Posted by waucka View Post
    Since the D3D state tracker Zack is talking about is Windows-dependent,
    it's not, but D3D-apps are windows-dependant in ways that gallium cannot solve. Hence it'd be absolutely useless to run the D3D state tracker on linux. Even Wine doesn't want one.

Still, closed source? I guess they're afraid that virtualbox/KVM/others use G3D for 3d-accelerated windows guests, thus stealing vmware's new killer feature. That's only fair after vmware spent all the money, but still sad.

Direct3D is a closed source library on top of a hardware driver. ATI and nVidia are implementing a driver that is used by the library. A Direct3D state tracker would probably not re-implement the complete Direct3D library, so this state tracker would be windows only.

If someone wants to have an open source dx tracker he could build it ... and it's not said, that vmware won't opensource this driver after a while ... when the commercial benefit of closed source is gone they have no need or interst to keep it closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragas View Post
    If someone wants to have an open source dx tracker he could build it ... and it's not said, that vmware won't opensource this driver after a while ... when the commercial benefit of closed source is gone they have no need or interst to keep it closed.
    I am quite sure they have an NDA with MS. Wouldn't have happened so quickly otherwise I guess. So that would mean, commercial use or not there'd still be an NDA.
    Still sad I would have hoped that this could've been used by wine excessively so wine would just need to "correct" the behaviour of w32 progs in terms of everything else. Which would cost probably far less performance that the DX->OpenGl transaltions.
    But then I'm not a developer and know little about all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Adarion View Post
    I am quite sure they have an NDA with MS. Wouldn't have happened so quickly otherwise I guess. So that would mean, commercial use or not there'd still be an NDA.
    Hm, since VMWare is a direct competitor to MS, that's not very likely. They directly compete against them in the virtualization market.