Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04's Nouveau Stack Gets Ready

Default Ubuntu 10.04's Nouveau Stack Gets Ready

Phoronix: Ubuntu 10.04's Nouveau Stack Gets Ready

One of the slated features for Ubuntu 10.04 early on in its development cycle was support for the Nouveau graphics driver on NVIDIA hardware since it's much better than the xf86-video-nv driver mess and has a much brighter future, which is especially important with 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" being a Long-Term Support (LTS) release. This was prior to Nouveau going mainline with Linux 2.6.33, but Ubuntu Lucid is running with the Linux 2.6.32 kernel so as a result Nouveau's DRM was back-ported.The Ubuntu-X testers have been feverishly testing their 2.6.33-pulled Nouveau DRM on the Linux 2.6.32 kernel along with their KMS-supported xf86-video-nouveau DDX driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Nzk3OQ

Looks like Redhat is getting close to getting an Xserver that works with nearly every nvidia. I wonder how smooth it will be going from software rasterizers to various hardware platforms. I bet they get Geforce 4's 5's going pretty fast and 6's and 7's looks to be cruising along too.
    The next ubuntu looks to be shaping up to be a really good one.

God I hope we can still run Compiz smoothly with this driver. I heard you won't be able to install the NVIDIA binary drivers in Lucid .. is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
    God I hope we can still run Compiz smoothly with this driver. I heard you won't be able to install the NVIDIA binary drivers in Lucid .. is that true?
    No.

...where did you hear that?

And Fedora 13 will have 3D support for all NVidia cards too (both the new DRI driver and the Gallium driver are present).

You won't be able to run Compiz with this driver, as it is 2D capable only, but you will be able to install NVidia binary driver in Lucid Lynx as always.

If that's the case, then the test project they have set up for proprietary drivers would be a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by remm View Post
    And Fedora 13 will have 3D support for all NVidia cards too (both the new DRI driver and the Gallium driver are present).
    http://www.happyassassin.net/2010/02...rt-on-nouveau/

Quote Originally Posted by remm View Post
    woo! i get closer and closer every day to switching to fedora.

Quote Originally Posted by portets43 View Post
    woo! i get closer and closer every day to switching to fedora.
    Seconded. I must say I'm really starting to appreciate Fedora's work and contributions to Linux.