Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Catalyst 10.2 For Linux Gets Direct2D

Moved to KDE 4.4.x and the same thing. Desktop effects produce a black screen with the drivers. I hear people are having problems with Compiz too. Everyone should really flood the bugzilla tracker with tickets. Who cares if they don't respond. They do read those and the more tickets the easier it is for the issue not to get buried and forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by jasa68 View Post
    I do have to admit to that of Pfanne there around the thing of that it works, definetly indeed there is no much wrong in the current drivers other than that they do not instantly support some new kernels or if there comes some small changes upon random things on.
    I had previously ATI card myself, now going on Nvidia for some reason on, i'd guess indeed that of better support cause of more activity on driver development that can be somewhat read from the drivers pages too on their site.
    I would say on comparement of ATI and Nvidia current thing would be only that of that Nvidia got their vdpau acceleration widely accepted, seemingly cause it was simple to insert into that of the main code and does indeed work rather nicely (unless some random person reads xine-vdpau post and makes consideration based on that it could have some issues).
    And now they are still considering that of some random 2d acceleration of how it could be improved, really ... for what cause it would land on ? They could claim that of smoother scrolling of some random web pages that were designed to have random banners and such or just those 4+ flash comercials around to slow down the experience.
    Seemingly that of the main target would be those of with the laptop with less memory on that for graphics.
    And from own view i would say that mentioning idea of even throwing new accelerations upon with name of direct2d would make application devels reconsider even if they would be willing to be supporting something like that, or seemingly why they wouldnt just use those of already existing ones until those would be proved to be "too old" for the new desktop usage.
    Only main issues i saw back on the older days with ATI card was some random wine issues of unproper rendering of objects and good video acceleration (texturedvideo was rather new by back then and not sure how it is today).
    wine main issue: fglrx only support 24bit color wine do not react on feature request of the game for exampel arma2 now the game ends with an error no support for 16 bit found and yes the game supports 24bit but the game do not know what is the feature set of the card...

bugreport: http://www.codeweavers.com/support/tickets/browse/?ticket_id=780807;layout=user_tickets;sort[status]=ASC

Thumbs down I'm not gong back to AMD video anytime soon

Yep, sure glad that I got away from ATI/AMD video when I did. I would go as far a paying more on my next laptop to make sure that it has Nvidia or at least Intel.

I still like there CPU chips (Good and cheap), but the video card drivers ruin good hardware on Linux, it ashame.

Part of me wishes they would fix this, cause they have better performance for the price, but it's not worth the circus they call a Linux driver.

wait wait? users using catalyst drivers report disappointing results?

Quote Originally Posted by blindfrog View Post
    Haha still no support for the ancient xserver 1.7.x

Proper opengl 2.1 support for free drivers can't come soon enough
    In the roadmap of Mesa, Mesa-7.8 will get OpenGL 2.0 and GLSL 1.20 for R600/R700

I backport Mesa snapshot from F-13 to F-12. Here is an screenshot.

Quote Originally Posted by blindfrog View Post
    Haha still no support for the ancient xserver 1.7.x

Proper opengl 2.1 support for free drivers can't come soon enough
    In the roadmap of Mesa, Mesa-7.8 will get OpenGL 2.0 and GLSL 1.20 for R600/R700

I backport Mesa snapshot from F-13 to F-12. Here is an screenshot.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1352061/photo/mesa-7.8.jpeg

I am so sorry that I post the same tips twice. One of tips contain such a big photo.

I have no right to edit it again. Does any administrator help me edit them?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by elmo23x View Post
    for me it is broken...
    KDE 4.4 will not start with my 5770.
    Same here on ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 running Kubuntu 9.10 with KDE 4.4 PPA on x86_64: Will hang after KDM login with just one of the icons being displayed in KDM splash screen.

Back to fglx 10.1 for the time being. At least the installer didn't require symbol link tweaking, but --buildpkg Ubuntu/karmic just worked out of the box. At least somebody at ATI touched the driver and didn't just recompile against the latest shared with Windows Code

Quote Originally Posted by 7oby View Post
    Same here on ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 running Kubuntu 9.10 with KDE 4.4 PPA on x86_64: Will hang after KDM login with just one of the icons being displayed in KDM splash screen.

Back to fglx 10.1 for the time being. At least the installer didn't require symbol link tweaking, but --buildpkg Ubuntu/karmic just worked out of the box. At least somebody at ATI touched the driver and didn't just recompile against the latest shared with Windows Code
    I have exactly the same software... and the same problem
    I wonder what is wrong exactly.

with Direct2D 2D is amazingly fast (compared to the past) - please improve it !

unfortunately there are lots of glitches:

*) Direct2D (2D) and compositing are mutually exclusive
    when you start compiz after using 2D it won't load (compiz segfaults)
    [ 2937.504215] compiz[22420]: segfault at 7fc94c5d1a08 ip 00007fc94a497fb5 sp 00007fff394264e0 error 7 in libGL.so.1.2[7fc94a41d000+9f000]

*) some apps seems to have problems with it: tomboy and klipper (kde4.4, qt4.6) aren't loaded anymore on startup (in gnome)

*) not every/all operations seem to be accelerated yet (e.g. konqueror's output is somewhat slow)

*) proof for the speed: Complex graphics in peacekeeper browser benchmark (with 5770): Complex graphics 5876, 5266 vs. 7100 (around 6000 vs. around 7000)

*) no lags during moving windows crazily on the screen (content is being displayed correctly) on 1920x1200 resolution (improvement)