Here is what I did. Maybe this will point out the difference:
(1) I downloaded the following file from the OpenSuse website:
(2) I put the file on a USB stick:
dd if=openSUSE-11.2-GNOME-LiveCD-i686.iso of=/dev/sdb
(3) I installed the operating system on the d: partition
(4) Once the system was up, I installed the Nvidia driver following the instructions on this website:
(This asked me to update quite a few packages and I went ahaed and updated them.)
(5) Just in case, I did an update in the command line:
sudo zypper up
(This installed quite a few packages again, since the GUI ignores some of the repos that this command does not.)
That's it. Now my system is working just fine.
Is there anything that you did/did not do?