Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oracle Still To Make OpenSolaris Changes

Hybrid View

Default Oracle Still To Make OpenSolaris Changes

Phoronix: Oracle Still To Make OpenSolaris Changes

Since Oracle finished its acquisition of Sun Microsystems, there have been many changes to the open-source projects that were once supported under Sun now being discontinued by Oracle and significant changes being made to the remaining open-source products. One of the open-source projects that Oracle hasn't been too open about their intentions with has been OpenSolaris...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODAwNg

Somebody's going to try to push for a fork if OpenSolaris is left to rot...

Default Stagnation

Quote Originally Posted by King InuYasha View Post
    Somebody's going to try to push for a fork if OpenSolaris is left to rot...
    OpenSolaris really needs to change to a 6 month release schedule. That is why Ubuntu gets all the attention, release after release are pounded out on schedule. Personally, any longer than 6 months and stuff starts to stagnate.

I wonder if this will entail moving beyond GCC3.

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    OpenSolaris really needs to change to a 6 month release schedule. That is why Ubuntu gets all the attention, release after release are pounded out on schedule. Personally, any longer than 6 months and stuff starts to stagnate.
    I dont understand what you mean? Could you clarify?

OpenSolaris builds are released every two weeks. Every 6 months, the current OpenSolaris build is tested and then released as "2008.11" or "2009.06" or "2010.03", etc. Maybe you didnt knew that?

And I doubt someone knowledgable would say that OpenSolaris development stagnates. The development is extremely rapid: Crossbow, ZFS deduplication, Comstar, etc

Default Clearification

Quote Originally Posted by kebabbert View Post
    I dont understand what you mean? Could you clarify?

OpenSolaris builds are released every two weeks. Every 6 months, the current OpenSolaris build is tested and then released as "2008.11" or "2009.06" or "2010.03", etc. Maybe you didnt knew that?

And I doubt someone knowledgable would say that OpenSolaris development stagnates. The development is extremely rapid: Crossbow, ZFS deduplication, Comstar, etc
    It is not a six month release cycle, it is an eight month one, and is a month over at that. The problem with the eight month release cycle is that major packages, such as Firefox, are one or two releases behind. Stagnation. It also lands at a different time of year each release. Distributions that are released with shorter release cycles get more attention. Plus, I am talking about actual releases not dev builds.

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    It is not a six month release cycle, it is an eight month one, and is a month over at that. The problem with the eight month release cycle is that major packages, such as Firefox, are one or two releases behind. Stagnation. It also lands at a different time of year each release. Distributions that are released with shorter release cycles get more attention. Plus, I am talking about actual releases not dev builds.
    Well, officially, the target is 6 month release cycle. Sun did slip on it once, but that was because Soalris 10 was also released, so Sun prioritized S10, which is understandable.

Anyway, I dont see the point of making fuss if the release cycle slips once or twice. I know there are lots of people saying that OpenSolaris adds more cool features faster, than other OSes. I doubt they think development has stagnated. But you are free to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by kebabbert View Post
    This says nothing if development is rapid or not.

Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    This says nothing if development is rapid or not.
    No? I dont agree. If OpenSolaris adds much more cool features such as ZFS, DTrace, Crossbow, SMF, etc etc than other OSes, then at least I would say that development is rapid. I doubt anyone would say that development of for instance, ZFS for OpenSolaris is "stagnated". Just recently ZFS allows Deduplication on OpenSolaris. There are lots of other cool features added very fast, much more faster than other OSes. That is not "stagnation", just because one release slipped a couple of months? But you are free to disagree.

Personally, I am more concerned about VirtualBox