Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: CompuLab Fit-PC2 NetTop

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,378

    Default CompuLab Fit-PC2 NetTop

    Phoronix: CompuLab Fit-PC2 NetTop

    We have tested a few interesting Intel Atom-powered nettop computers lately from the ASRock ION 330HT-BD that bears a Blu-ray drive and an Intel Atom 330 CPU with NVIDIA ION graphics to the ASUS Eee Top that packaged the entire system within a touch-screen monitor. In this article we are trying out the CompuLab Fit-PC2, which is definitely the smallest Atom-powered computer we have tested to date. The Fit-PC2 easily fits in the palm of your hand and it packs an Intel Atom Z530 processor with a Poulsbo graphics processor, a 160GB SATA HDD, and 1GB of system memory.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=14616

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5

    Thumbs up Video

    Nice review, thanks!
    how about playing video? 720/1080p? avc?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gfdsa View Post
    Nice review, thanks!
    how about playing video? 720/1080p? avc?
    Good question, judging for my experience with connecting my Dell Mini to a TV, or even using the Mini's display, flash playback will be a problem.

    My mini can play a DVD transcoded to avi on my 720p TV just dandy, and it looks fantastic, but don't even think of watching Hulu. Ecen on the small screen Hulu is choppy, unless I choose medium resolution. This is a flash issue and nothing else. But as long as Flash is the dominant format, the only sane solution is more muscle, basically an IGP that is much more than you should need, but in any case capable of doing Flash at decent resolutions.

    I think that this fact sadly takes away a lot of the value of the FitPC

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The intarwebs
    Posts
    385

    Default

    If my Droid took 7 whole watts just to play HD video, I'd be enraged.

    Atom. All the waste of x86. None of the raw power.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default

    well, flash is not yet accelerated, we know that and playing 480p video is not that interesting these days. the interesting part is playing mpeg4 > 480p using intel embedded driver with VA API ....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gfdsa View Post
    well, flash is not yet accelerated, we know that and playing 480p video is not that interesting these days. the interesting part is playing mpeg4 > 480p using intel embedded driver with VA API ....
    MPEG-4 Part-2 (DivX) is limited to 720p. This is not a driver limitation. However, MPEG-4 Part-10 (AVC, H.264) works for 1080p.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by gbeauche View Post
    MPEG-4 Part-2 (DivX) is limited to 720p. This is not a driver limitation. However, MPEG-4 Part-10 (AVC, H.264) works for 1080p.
    hmmmm..... what does this observation has to do with my question about this nettop playing video?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gfdsa View Post
    hmmmm..... what does this observation has to do with my question about this nettop playing video?
    It answers your question wrt. HW decoding capabilities for MPEG-4. Since you did not specify which standard clearly, I gave you both sets. I should have made more explicit the fact that was MPEG-4 "support in HW is limited to"... But this context was obviously implified by your previous comment, which I quoted.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbeauche View Post
    It answers your question wrt. HW decoding capabilities for MPEG-4. Since you did not specify which standard clearly, I gave you both sets. I should have made more explicit the fact that was MPEG-4 "support in HW is limited to"... But this context was obviously implified by your previous comment, which I quoted.
    if you say so gbeauche.
    Actually I was asking how the reviewed hardware performs with videos above 480p. I did not have an opportunity to try this intel gpu with intel embedded driver so I was curious.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    4,995

    Default

    Hmm, is that 720p hardware limit for all hw decoders, or just Nvidia?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •