Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New xf86-video-ati Release Planned With KMS

Hybrid View

Default New xf86-video-ati Release Planned With KMS

Phoronix: New xf86-video-ati Release Planned With KMS

The xf86-video-ati 6.12.0 X.Org driver was released in March of 2009. Since then there has been no significant releases of the ATI X.Org driver, but fortunately, a new release is on the way.The xf86-video-ati DDX driver has been at version 6.12.99 for quite a while now in the Git snapshots, but no release has been pushed...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODAyMA

Good to hear. Was getting rather bored already with the driver .

Great! So it looks like KMS for Radeon driver is ready for general use, is it? I'm curious how will KMS work with my multiseat environment with two R3xx cards.

Quote Originally Posted by xeros View Post
    Great! So it looks like KMS for Radeon driver is ready for general use, is it?
    Yes and no. The graphical glitches got sorted out, but its performance right now is... abysmal to the point where it's simply not practical to enable it, even compared to UMS which is slow to begin with

Yeah, there aren't that many apparent glitches/bugs with KMS and radeon right now. Performance is craptacular, so I doubt it will be the default setting anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by xeros View Post
    Great! So it looks like KMS for Radeon driver is ready for general use, is it? I'm curious how will KMS work with my multiseat environment with two R3xx cards.
    Wrong.
    I still can't get a valid video signal through DVI->HDMI with my RV670. DVI->VGA works fine though.
    This happens only with KMS enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by mdias View Post
    I still can't get a valid video signal through DVI->HDMI with my RV670. DVI->VGA works fine though.
    File a bug report in case you haven't done yet.

Thumbs down

Pretty disappointing to hear about the abysmal KMS performance ..

Quote Originally Posted by mdias View Post
    Wrong.
    I can confirm this as well. With KMS enabled there's essentially no output on DVI after grub (as soon as the drive loads I assume).
    With radeon.modeset=0 everything works.
    This sucks, as I've understood that KMS is required for vsync to work with xv (to get tear free video)?

As Iäm a linux noob, please point me to where I should report this, and what I need to include in the bug report.

What is weird is that if I SSH to the box the X logs look fine, i.e correct EDID data is read from the projector etc and there are no errors.
    I tried various radeon driver options without success.
    I'm running 2.6.33 and latest from xorg-edgers ppa.

Should I just go out and buy a Nvidia to get my Mythbox running?

Quote Originally Posted by salose View Post
    This sucks, as I've understood that KMS is required for vsync to work with xv (to get tear free video)?
    No, it's not required. KMS is only needed for a VSync'ed desktop. Xv with UMS is tear-free in non-composited desktops and in composited ones if you watch in fullscreen.