Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: New Open-Source ATI Driver Releases

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,124

    Default New Open-Source ATI Driver Releases

    Phoronix: New Open-Source ATI Driver Releases

    With the Linux 2.6.33 kernel having been released last week where the ATI kernel mode-setting (KMS) DRM code left the kernel's staging area, we knew a new ATI X.Org driver release was imminent. Over the night a new stable DDX driver update has been pushed out for xf86-video-ati as well as a new pre-release for the KMS-supportive 6.13 version that also carries other changes.The xf86-video-ati 6.12.5 is the new stable update that carries bug-fixes and other work...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODAzMA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    26

    Default

    How can i get this pre release? Wanna get rid of fglrx..

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bolzerrr View Post
    How can i get this pre release? Wanna get rid of fglrx..
    Depends on your distro...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Am I correct when I assume that I won't get to use all these awesome new features on my openSUSE 11.2 (Kernel .31) and have to wait for 11.3?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    575

    Default

    In mid 2009 I posted here saying we would have some decent open source ati drivers with distros starting from Ubuntu 10.10 (and similars).

    It seems.... things are actually going like this

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudig View Post
    Am I correct when I assume that I won't get to use all these awesome new features on my openSUSE 11.2 (Kernel .31) and have to wait for 11.3?
    You can always compile the respective parts (kernel, xorg-drivers, mesa,...) on your own, which I would advise you to try out on a non-production machine/installation and only if you are really curious and/or want to help the developers.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    Depends on your distro...
    Ubuntu Karmic.. never tried open source drivers, do i also have to install mesa?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    99

    Default Absolute Garbage

    This 6.12.5 release is absolute and utter garbage. It does not address many longstanding serious bugs (which are fixed in git). So what is the point of releasing a piece of nonsense like this ?

    Is this yet another stalling tactic by the incompetent "developers" ?

    I don't want to hear any excuses about "it's not that easy now that there are many different pieces to consider, KMS, mesa, TTM blah blah fucking blah". A year without any stable releases that have shown the slightest advance is pathetic beyond belief.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,514

    Default

    gordboy, are there specific bug fixes which you feel should be in the 6.12 update stream and not just in 6.13 ?

    My understanding was that the 6.12 update stream only received the very low risk bug fixes, and that more intrusive fixes would be picked up in the 6.13 driver.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gordboy View Post
    This 6.12.5 release is absolute and utter garbage. It does not address many longstanding serious bugs (which are fixed in git). So what is the point of releasing a piece of nonsense like this ?

    Is this yet another stalling tactic by the incompetent "developers" ?

    I don't want to hear any excuses about "it's not that easy now that there are many different pieces to consider, KMS, mesa, TTM blah blah fucking blah". A year without any stable releases that have shown the slightest advance is pathetic beyond belief.
    What specific bug are you seeing? Remember, bugs that aren't reported have less chance of being fixed. It's a stable branch so it does not get new features.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •