Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Version 1.98 Of GRUB2 Boot Loader Released

Default Version 1.98 Of GRUB2 Boot Loader Released

Phoronix: Version 1.98 Of GRUB2 Boot Loader Released

Last October there was the release of GRUB 1.97. This milestone in the path towards GRUB 2.0 delivered support for password protection, RAID 4/6/10, a high resolution timer, Cygwin compatibility, EXT4 file-system support, and the capability to load new kernels such as those for FreeBSD and NetBSD...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODA0MQ

Default GRUB

Does anybody kown if its possible to use grub as the only boot manager in a mac? Its a waste of time enter on refit then on grub.

Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
    Does anybody kown if its possible to use grub as the only boot manager in a mac? Its a waste of time enter on refit then on grub.
    Yes, you can: http://grub.enbug.org/TestingOnMacbook

What does
    official widget-based menu support
    mean ??

Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
    What does mean ??
    It could mean _anything_ because the documentation of grub2 sucks, you have to find out by experimentation what the options do. I switched to extlinux a couple of months ago because of that reason, and because you can't enable vesa hardware acceleartion with video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr because they use the stupid gfxpayload notation and don't care about anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by rostrocop View Post
    It could mean _anything_ because the documentation of grub2 sucks, you have to find out by experimentation what the options do. I switched to extlinux a couple of months ago because of that reason, and because you can't enable vesa hardware acceleartion with video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr because they use the stupid gfxpayload notation and don't care about anything else.
    Is it bad that I still use Lilo?

I mean I've never had any issues booting from Reiser4 ext4 or any fs I've ever tried

LILO uses a static blocklist where the kernel+initrd is located. GRUB(2) access the filesystem to load it. Thats why you have to reinstall LILO everytime you update the kernel and for GRUB(2) you only update the config file.

I'm also having troubles to boot into reiser4 with grub2... And grub2 is so damn slow.

Quote Originally Posted by rostrocop View Post
    I can't wait for 3D support (maybe grub3)
    LILO 22.8!

With all those features, it must be huge.