Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 180

Thread: Valve Is Not Commenting On Steam, Source Engine For Linux

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlord View Post
    You can even run Linux on various consoles.
    From April 1 forward, you won't.

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Remco View Post
    From April 1 forward, you won't.
    Why so? If it's a firmware update the solution is quite simply blocking it. Has been done with the Wii and PSP. Furthermore some mod-chips bypass the systems in a way that a firmware update won't help. And one a console is hacked running Linux on it doable.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlord View Post
    Why so? If it's a firmware update the solution is quite simply blocking it. Has been done with the Wii and PSP. Furthermore some mod-chips bypass the systems in a way that a firmware update won't help. And one a console is hacked running Linux on it doable.
    Of course, I'm not saying that it isn't technically possible to run Linux on a lot of consoles. But the one console where it was officially supported, will soon not offer the option to boot into the "other OS" anymore. If consoles are PCs, they are severely crippled PCs.

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Remco View Post
    Of course, I'm not saying that it isn't technically possible to run Linux on a lot of consoles. But the one console where it was officially supported, will soon not offer the option to boot into the "other OS" anymore. If consoles are PCs, they are severely crippled PCs.
    That's actually true. Especially funny is the reason why they claim to have to do it. The game deving scene is more and more turning into a joke. Hail to the Indies, baby :P

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlord View Post
    Sorry if you can't follow my "login" since I use "logic" :P . Anyways if your definition would be true than the Macintosh would be no computer nor would early computers like the Atari be one. Now please take first a look at the specs of current generation consoles and then come back honestly claiming they are not similar to an everyday computer. You can even run Linux on various consoles. And yes handhelds have become more and more computers too. Important for the definition of a computer is what is inside and how it works not the "login" of some Mr. Gilboa.
    There's a difference between a "PC" and just a "Computer" Yes the atari was a computer but it wasn't a PC. If you want to be pedantic then sure PC means Personal Computer which means and computer that is yours personally. But today, when talking about a PC, most people are usually referring so some sort of general purpose computer like a desktop or laptop. The idea being that its a general purpose computer that allows you to load different software on to perform various actions. A console like an XBox, or the Atari is more of a specific purpose computer. It's purpose is to load and play games crafted for that system.

    If you're going to be pedantic about it you'd better start referring to your fridge, and your stove, and your microwave, and your car all as PCs, since they have computers in them.

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    833

    Default

    You can run Linux on it which is actually full OS. I consider this very "personal". Besides consoles aim more and more to be multi-purpose like the PS3 playing not only games but also movies and other stuff. If you would be pedantic then a Windows PC would not be a PC because you can not use whatever soft you want (as some is given by M$). In that logic only Un*x would be really a PC.

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlord View Post
    You can run Linux on it which is actually full OS. I consider this very "personal". Besides consoles aim more and more to be multi-purpose like the PS3 playing not only games but also movies and other stuff. If you would be pedantic then a Windows PC would not be a PC because you can not use whatever soft you want (as some is given by M$). In that logic only Un*x would be really a PC.
    Yes but you can run Linux on NAS, modems, and a host of other devices. You can even put it onto FPGA's with softcore processors.
    The hardware of a console is dedicated these days to games and multimedia. While the line between console and PC is getting a little blurry, there are some pretty distinct differences. If I'm not mistaken, consoles don't support virtual memory - although I'm unsure if that's purely a firmware decision or if some of the helping hardware is also cut out.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlord View Post
    You can run Linux on it which is actually full OS. I consider this very "personal". Besides consoles aim more and more to be multi-purpose like the PS3 playing not only games but also movies and other stuff. If you would be pedantic then a Windows PC would not be a PC because you can not use whatever soft you want (as some is given by M$). In that logic only Un*x would be really a PC.
    Your argument about a windows PC makes no sense. Just because some software is given by Microsoft doesn't make it not a gerenal purpose PC. I can still download and install all kinds of non Microsoft software and run it on my Windows PC. I can also take that Windows PC and install some other operating system on it and run even more software.

    Machines like a console don't let you do that. Its a closed machine designed for a very specific use case. Playing games, or in some cases games and movies. Its nowhere near as general purpose as a desktop computer is.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by admax88 View Post
    Its nowhere near as general purpose as a desktop computer is.
    Which is also not my point. I never said they are exactly a PC but that they are similar to one. The way consoles nowadays are build differs from older consoles and is more and more along the way a PC is build.

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlord View Post
    Sorry if you can't follow my "login" since I use "logic" :P . Anyways if your definition would be true than the Macintosh would be no computer nor would early computers like the Atari be one. Now please take first a look at the specs of current generation consoles and then come back honestly claiming they are not similar to an everyday computer. You can even run Linux on various consoles. And yes handhelds have become more and more computers too. Important for the definition of a computer is what is inside and how it works not the "login" of some Mr. Gilboa.
    Once you have no OS nor (free) application selection (I assume that you're unaware the Sony is blocking the Linux option on PS3; neither xbox nor wii include such option), a console is just as PC as a smart phone (And -no-, jailbreaking is not a viable solution.)

    Never the less, as you're sticking to a very narrow definition of PC (and hopefully, you truly believe in this somewhat flawed definition and you're not simply arguing for the sake of the argument as your argument revolves around semantics and nothing else), please let me rephrase myself:

    Gaming on user-built / configured / customized / installed - general purpose computers with a general purpose operating system is slowly dying, with most of the games and user-base slowly (?) shifting to gaming-optimized platforms (AKA consoles) as well as mobile platforms (cellphones).

    ... Or are you trying to argue otherwise?

    - Gilboa
    P.S. Repeating the login part would have been more amusing if I had the option to edit a post once I pressed the send button. Repeating this jab (over and over again) was pointless and immature.
    DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB, GTX680, F20/x86_64, Dell U2711.
    SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F20/x86_64, Dell U2412..
    BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F20/x86-64.
    LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F20/x86_64.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •