Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unigine Heaven 2.0 Expected Next Week

Default Unigine Heaven 2.0 Expected Next Week

Phoronix: Unigine Heaven 2.0 Expected Next Week

We've been itching for Unigine Corp to publicly release the Unigine Heaven tech demo for Linux with its advanced OpenGL renderer, since the DirectX 11 version launched last October with heavenly graphics, but GPU driver bugs have held up the OpenGL Linux release...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODA2OQ

It's the release date for the nvidia gt 400 the 26th march ? Maybe opengl 4.O

Why do you have such a boner over a proprietary engine with no actual linux games? There have been many many commercial engines with linux support where the developer/publisher released windows only versions of the game. WTH does this change? I'm only curious cuz you guys post about this engine at least once a week. They a sponsor or something?

Primal carnage which is suppose to have a Linux client uses the Unigine engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hohlraum View Post
    Why do you have such a boner over a proprietary engine with no actual linux games? There have been many many commercial engines with linux support where the developer/publisher released windows only versions of the game. WTH does this change? I'm only curious cuz you guys post about this engine at least once a week. They a sponsor or something?
    1) It's on a par with Crysis for eye-candy.
    2) At least one studio is planning on shipping a Linux version with this engine, possibly more.

I'm interested in the engine as much as anything because it's able to show that you don't "need" Direct3D, etc. to make the engine go well- OpenGL 3.X is just fine and does just as nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Hohlraum View Post
    1) they are part of the PTS test suite
    2) it is the only real application that pushes recent hardware to it's limits
    3) it shows off the potential of what could be done in linux if game developers got their heads out of their asses.
    4) they are a linux friendly developer

I might also add that it is one of the first applications to use openCL.

and one last thing is it is cross platform so it will allow head to head comparison to windows.

Unigine themselves are planning on doing some sort of game (with a Linux release) if I'm not mistaken?

Don't forget they are also developing and compiling the engine from linux. So it is conceivable that they will continue to have linux support. I absolutely support the new worthiness of Unigine updates. This website is how I learned about the engine and the company, and their advanced cross platform support is why we switched to it.