Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ATI Kernel Power Management Moves A Bit More

Default ATI Kernel Power Management Moves A Bit More

Phoronix: ATI Kernel Power Management Moves A Bit More

On Sunday we reported that ATI in-kernel power management was moving along after AMD's Alex Deucher spent some time in recent days building upon RafaĆ? MiĆ?ecki's initial power management support. Alex's patches added GUI idle IRQ support, support for changing the GPU clocks when the engine is idle, support for turning down the number of active SIMDS when running in a lower power stage for the ATI R600 ASICs and later, and new ASIC specific callback functions. This morning though he's taken the support a bit further...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODA3Mw

As soon as this gets going i'm going to jump ship from the ATI blob.

I'm sorry for the total n00bishness, but does 'agd5f' stand for Ati Graphics Department (office/cubicle) 5F?

*ducks and runs*

Nope, but good idea. Alex was agd5f long before ATI/AMD came along

im going crazy xD
    cant wait for all this to work!
    thanks alex and keep up the good work!

Question

To leave a comment on agd5f's blog, you need to log in, but it isn't possible to register there...

Wow, this is just awesome, Alex, thank you so much.

btw
    do you guys expect the oss powermanagement to be as good as the fglrx powermanagement?

It's hard to say. We're trying to make sure that the open source drivers are able to do all the same power-saving things as fglrx (as we discover them ) but it's going to be a bit like 3D -- it may not be worth adding all of the complexity if you can get 80% of the benefit with 20% of the work.

On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if some scenarios specific to consumer users were handled *better* than fglrx so that the overall results were considered superior. Power management is one of the areas where the environment differs widely across the OSes, so a Linux-specific open source solution could also have an edge by not having to be based on common, OS-independent code.

I think it's safe to say it will be "pretty good" anyways

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    It's hard to say. We're trying to make sure that the open source drivers are able to do all the same power-saving things as fglrx (as we discover them ) but it's going to be a bit like 3D -- it may not be worth adding all of the complexity if you can get 80% of the benefit
    with 20% of the work.

On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if some scenarios specific to consumer users were handled *better* than fglrx so that the overall results were considered superior. Power management is one of the areas where the environment differs widely across the OSes, so a Linux-specific open source solution could also have an edge by not having to be based on common, OS-independent code.

I think it's safe to say it will be "pretty good" anyways
    sounds good!
    since im using an ati chip on my notebook.
    today i checked how long my notebook would last with lucid + open source drivers and had a drop from 4hours ith fglrx to maybe 1hour and 30 minutes.
    plus, the notebook fan annoyed the shit out of me