Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Phoronix To Tour Chernobyl Nuclear Site

Hybrid View

Default Phoronix To Tour Chernobyl Nuclear Site

Phoronix: Phoronix To Tour Chernobyl Nuclear Site

While a slight deviation from our usual roundabout with Linux news, benchmarks, and graphics driver articles, two weeks from today I have the unique opportunity to tour the Chernobyl disaster site and surrounding areas like the deserted Pripyat and Red Forest. As those into technology (like those reading Phoronix) seem to have interest in Chernobyl whether it be due to computer games they have played that are based around the Chernobyl site or simply due to the history and fascination by nuclear power and the unfortunate disaster in Ukraine, I will be posting some photographs and HD videos from what Chernobyl looks like in 2010. This will be on Phoronix and potentially a new Phoronix Media site for hosting the high resolution versions and the media may be potentially CC-BY-NC-ND licensed...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODA4Nw

I'd love to go there sometime as well, it's somehow fascinating

A lot of fansites related to the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. have done community trips to those places in the past. I would have loved to go

Michael, could you elaborate on how/why you get to visit Chernobyl? How "hot" is the area; will you need to wear protective gear, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown96 View Post
    Michael, could you elaborate on how/why you get to visit Chernobyl? How "hot" is the area; will you need to wear protective gear, etc.?
    lol xD

Wow, this is random. My first thought was, "Wait, WHAT?". My second thought was the same... My third thought was that I live A LOT closer, yet I have never had any desire to visit that ghastly place.

Quote Originally Posted by loonyphoenix View Post
    Wow, this is random. My first thought was, "Wait, WHAT?". My second thought was the same... My third thought was that I live A LOT closer, yet I have never had any desire to visit that ghastly place.
    Exactly my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown96 View Post
    You are able to arrange private tours from those that have government permission to enter the exclusion zones, etc.

Within the Red Forest, right near Reactor #4, within some buildings in Pripyat, and in other wilderness areas there are still very lethal levels of radiation. However, when carrying a Geiger counter and with a skilled tour guide, I am told you generally don't get exposed to much more radiation than you would find on an airplane while at cruising altitude. And to stand on the cement, but when going into the grass is when you can quickly encounter radioactive debris. Though you are able to "safely" get up within a few hundred meters or so of Reactor #4 (the one that blew) and enter some buildings within the deserted town of Pripyat.

Speaking of which, a few people have actually contacted me from Kyiv and elsewhere since posting this news item asking if there is room left on this "tour". I hadn't intended on this being a public Phoronix tour, but if there is anyone else interested and can make it to Kyiv on 3/4th of April, let me know ASAP! I can speak with the guide and see if something can be arranged.

Here are some pictures of Chernobyl I've found: http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2...-of-chernobyl/

The place looks rather interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by DoDoENT View Post
    Here are some pictures of Chernobyl I've found: http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2...-of-chernobyl/

The place looks rather interesting.
    Interesting, hadn't seen those before. Nice photos, but still amazed there aren't too many high resolution photographs of Chernobyl.

Geez, and my girlfriend thinks I'm mad for applying for a place on the US government's tours of the nuclear test sites in Nevada .

Good luck and remember to take plenty of vodka to protect you against the radiation . If I was still living in Britain I'd fly over for the day!