Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Intel KMS vs. UMS With Ubuntu 10.04

Quote Originally Posted by drag View Post
    Users whose TV out is broken are not going to say to themselves 'Oh, maybe I should hack around with /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see if UMS option will make my TV work...'; They are just going to not use TV out.
    But for us who NEED TV-out it IS an option. For me I stumble over it while debugging (all on my own, mind you, as I have filed a bugreport, but noone in the intel team seems to want to help (possibly because it is a hell to debug this kind of things without be able to have hands-on time with a failing computer)) and I *AM* very happy that UMS is an option for me.

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Last week we published benchmarks looking at the ATI Radeon KMS vs. UMS performance and found the user-space mode-setting support with the ATI driver (that is also limited to using DRI1 with these older code-paths) [...]
    That's exactly why there's less difference with the Intel drivers: they're still using GEM/DRI2 with UMS.

Default nomodeset instead of i915.modeset=0

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Kernel mode-setting support can be toggled at boot-time by adding i915.modeset=0 to the GRUB kernel boot line to boot with the user-space mode-setting support
    Kernel mode-setting can be disabled by adding nomodeset to the Grub kernel boot line.

I had to disable kernel mode-setting on my i965 Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 because it did weird things with a panning desktop and I couldn't adjust screen brightness in Ubuntu Lucid Lynx.

Disabling kms with nomodeset fixed these problems.