Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lexmark's Linux Secret

Hybrid View

Default Lexmark's Linux Secret

Phoronix: Lexmark's Linux Secret

Most of the time at Phoronix we focus on looking at the Linux graphics performance of the software drivers and hardware, since traditionally that has been one of the most troubling areas of Linux hardware support. Tides though have turned as AMD continues to back their own open-source strategy with providing documentation and pushing out code that enables open-source hardware support from 3D acceleration to power management, while Intel continues to back their fully open-source model too. Another area of hardware support that has caused much grief for users has been with printer support. Printers are not nearly as complex as a modern-day graphics processor, but the different vendors have not been quick to offer up any Linux support -- and binary-only drivers frequently back the ones that do. There is one printer manufacturer though that as of last year has begun supporting Linux from top to bottom with their entire line-up of printers. Not only are they providing CUPS drivers, but also they are even printing Tux in the corner of every box they ship right besides the Windows and Apple logos. Do you know who we are talking about? Probably not, but it's Lexmark. After months of wrangling within the company, Lexmark has stepped up to become a Linux and open-source friendly company. We are seeing how far this Linux support extends as we try out the Lexmark Pro905 Platinum multi-function printer.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=14735

Lets hope they add scanner support to their Linux drivers like Epson, H.P., and Canon have done.

Its great to see companies finally starting to really support Linux. Last time I bought a printer I went with HP because of their great Linux support in HPLIP. It seems next time I get a printer I might have a little more choice.

Quote Originally Posted by nukem View Post
    Its great to see companies finally starting to really support Linux. Last time I bought a printer I went with HP because of their great Linux support in HPLIP. It seems next time I get a printer I might have a little more choice.
    I agree, I couldn't believe this omission in the article. Michael, I guess an update to the article would be nice. We don't want to alienate our friends

More here:

http://hplipopensource.com/
    http://www.hp.com/wwsolutions/linux/...ing/index.html

And yes, I also buy HP printers for that reason. Cheers!

I agree, I couldn't believe this omission in the article. Michael, I guess an update to the article would be nice. We don't want to alienate our friends

This whole article is just bullshit from start to end.

A) First off this is not Lexmark being friendly to 'OSS' and 'Linux'.
    A.1) It's not open source and
    A.2) the installer is not only shit it is completely unnecessary. I've installed my entire f-ing OS using nothing but Deb files. The idea that that a simple package or two is not going to be good enough for a printer driver is not only inane it just shows the incompetance of the people that made the driver.

--------------------------------------------------

B) Lexmark has had proprietary drivers _FOR_LINUX_ since the beginning of FOREVER.

AT LEAST since 2002, probably before that.

You know why most people did not know this? Because the drivers were shit and the installer was shit and it's far more cost effective for 99% of everybody out there to simple scrap the drivers and go with a company that properly supports Linux. So anybody with half a brain would not bring it up so to avoid confusing people and making Linux look worse then it really was.

All this article should be talking about is the fact that Lexmark made their installer suck slightly less and added support for newer printers.

-----------------------------------

C) If you want a cheap inkjet printer, which the 'pro905' is just a consumer inkjet, and your using Linux then you should buy HP or, if HP does not have printers that can provide what you want, then get Epson and be carefull and make sure it has good support.

Why? Because you just plug HP in and _GO_. That's it. No installers, no fiddling around with extracting the deb file out of some shit installer and doing a force install.

If your capable of plugging in a USB connector then your capable of installing a HP printer in most decent Linux distributions.

Oh, and unlike this printer, your scanner should work the majority of the time.

-------------------------------------------

What this driver is good for is people had the unfortunate mistake of buying a Lexmark Inkjet printer for Linux then they can probably get a chance at getting it working.

But no... this is Lexmark just being Lexmark. They have provided proprietary drivers for Linux for close to a decade now and they've sucked and the installer sucks.

It's just slightly less sucky now.

Whatever you do do NOT purchase a Lexmark printer unless it's a business-style and has native Postscript support. Linux can talk to any postscript printer...

Quote Originally Posted by drag View Post

A) First off this is not Lexmark being friendly to 'OSS' and 'Linux'.
    A.1) It's not open source and
    A.2) the installer is not only shit it is completely unnecessary. I've installed my entire f-ing OS using nothing but Deb files. The idea that that a simple package or two is not going to be good enough for a printer driver is not only inane it just shows the incompetance of the people that made the driver.

--------------------------------------------------

B) Lexmark has had proprietary drivers _FOR_LINUX_ since the beginning of FOREVER.

AT LEAST since 2002, probably before that.

You know why most people did not know this? Because the drivers were shit and the installer was shit and it's far more cost effective for 99% of everybody out there to simple scrap the drivers and go with a company that properly supports Linux. So anybody with half a brain would not bring it up so to avoid confusing people and making Linux look worse then it really was.

All this article should be talking about is the fact that Lexmark made their installer suck slightly less and added support for newer printers.

-----------------------------------

C) If you want a cheap inkjet printer, which the 'pro905' is just a consumer inkjet, and your using Linux then you should buy HP or, if HP does not have printers that can provide what you want, then get Epson and be carefull and make sure it has good support.

Why? Because you just plug HP in and _GO_. That's it. No installers, no fiddling around with extracting the deb file out of some shit installer and doing a force install.

If your capable of plugging in a USB connector then your capable of installing a HP printer in most decent Linux distributions.

Oh, and unlike this printer, your scanner should work the majority of the time.

-------------------------------------------

What this driver is good for is people had the unfortunate mistake of buying a Lexmark Inkjet printer for Linux then they can probably get a chance at getting it working.

But no... this is Lexmark just being Lexmark. They have provided proprietary drivers for Linux for close to a decade now and they've sucked and the installer sucks.

It's just slightly less sucky now.

Whatever you do do NOT purchase a Lexmark printer unless it's a business-style and has native Postscript support. Linux can talk to any postscript printer...
    Well said!! I agree 100%!

Default WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by drag View Post
    Michael,

I agree with everything Drag said.

I'm not sure if HP puts a penguin on the box, but based on this article I'd still recommend buying HP.

You seemed very enthusiastic. What could justify your enthusiasm? Is there some important point you forgot to mention? Are these drivers actually opensource? Is Lexmark working with the CUPS and SANE projects so this stuff will start working out of the box?

i was wondering whether it's still 1apr in your time zone for a while when looking at this article

this is pretty surprising.

The test should cover the USB printing, too.
    And more printers should be tested (especialy those cheap/cheapest inkjet Lexmark printers).
    I've got many Lexmark laser ethernet printers from few years and those work out of the box on many Linux distributions on default PostScript drivers but up to now I've been getting off from any Lexmark inkjet printers because of lack of Linux support.

Do they support the yellow microscopic dots as well?