Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44

Thread: Lexmark's Linux Secret

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    100

    Default

    as negated said, not being able to scan is because your running it as a network printer (cable or wireless), if you hook it up as usb printer this will work. As far as I know this is also the case for HP printer/scanner combo's

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by negated View Post
    I have not used all that many wireless all-in-one printer/scanner combos, but all the ones I have used don't actually allow you to scan from the PC side when in wireless/ethernet mode either in Windows, Linux, etc.
    The Canon MP-640 allows you to both print from and scan to a Linux machine via Wi-FI and it works absolutely brilliantly.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Nice for printers already bought but for new ones I'd still opt for HP due to there very nice opensource HPLIP which provides a great out-of-the-box experience on almost every Linux-distribution.

    Is Lexmark planning on providing opensource drivers in the future?

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xilanaz View Post
    as negated said, not being able to scan is because your running it as a network printer (cable or wireless), if you hook it up as usb printer this will work. As far as I know this is also the case for HP printer/scanner combo's
    I use a Brother MFC and i can scan over network. This is possible for Windows, Mac and Linux. It is all in the scannerdriver.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tball View Post
    Samsung also offers great linux support. They even have a linux gui installation app on their driver cd. Though I think they are proprietary, but I don't know for sure.

    Well they work as a charm at least.
    I'm pretty sure the samsung drivers are proprietary but there is also the splix project which offers free versions.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nukem View Post
    Its great to see companies finally starting to really support Linux. Last time I bought a printer I went with HP because of their great Linux support in HPLIP. It seems next time I get a printer I might have a little more choice.
    I agree, I couldn't believe this omission in the article. Michael, I guess an update to the article would be nice. We don't want to alienate our friends

    More here:

    http://hplipopensource.com/
    http://www.hp.com/wwsolutions/linux/...ing/index.html

    And yes, I also buy HP printers for that reason. Cheers!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    714

    Default

    I agree, I couldn't believe this omission in the article. Michael, I guess an update to the article would be nice. We don't want to alienate our friends

    This whole article is just bullshit from start to end.

    A) First off this is not Lexmark being friendly to 'OSS' and 'Linux'.
    A.1) It's not open source and
    A.2) the installer is not only shit it is completely unnecessary. I've installed my entire f-ing OS using nothing but Deb files. The idea that that a simple package or two is not going to be good enough for a printer driver is not only inane it just shows the incompetance of the people that made the driver.

    --------------------------------------------------

    B) Lexmark has had proprietary drivers _FOR_LINUX_ since the beginning of FOREVER.

    AT LEAST since 2002, probably before that.

    You know why most people did not know this? Because the drivers were shit and the installer was shit and it's far more cost effective for 99% of everybody out there to simple scrap the drivers and go with a company that properly supports Linux. So anybody with half a brain would not bring it up so to avoid confusing people and making Linux look worse then it really was.

    All this article should be talking about is the fact that Lexmark made their installer suck slightly less and added support for newer printers.


    -----------------------------------

    C) If you want a cheap inkjet printer, which the 'pro905' is just a consumer inkjet, and your using Linux then you should buy HP or, if HP does not have printers that can provide what you want, then get Epson and be carefull and make sure it has good support.

    Why? Because you just plug HP in and _GO_. That's it. No installers, no fiddling around with extracting the deb file out of some shit installer and doing a force install.

    If your capable of plugging in a USB connector then your capable of installing a HP printer in most decent Linux distributions.

    Oh, and unlike this printer, your scanner should work the majority of the time.

    -------------------------------------------


    What this driver is good for is people had the unfortunate mistake of buying a Lexmark Inkjet printer for Linux then they can probably get a chance at getting it working.

    But no... this is Lexmark just being Lexmark. They have provided proprietary drivers for Linux for close to a decade now and they've sucked and the installer sucks.

    It's just slightly less sucky now.

    Whatever you do do NOT purchase a Lexmark printer unless it's a business-style and has native Postscript support. Linux can talk to any postscript printer...

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yvesvanbelle View Post
    I use a Brother MFC and i can scan over network. This is possible for Windows, Mac and Linux. It is all in the scannerdriver.
    interesting, thank you for that info, on the next all in one choice I know a little more

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Australia
    Posts
    356

    Default

    I'm not a fan of Lexmark printers. In fact, I loath them... Linux support or not, I would be highly reluctant with buying one again. Mainly because of the trouble I've had with mine in the past. Good to see they are improving though. Maybe things are changing for them. ~shrug~ I'm sticking to my Samsung printer / scanner for the time being.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Die trolls, die!
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drag View Post
    This whole article is just bullshit from start to end.

    A) First off this is not Lexmark being friendly to 'OSS' and 'Linux'.
    A.1) It's not open source and
    A.2) the installer is not only shit it is completely unnecessary. I've installed my entire f-ing OS using nothing but Deb files. The idea that that a simple package or two is not going to be good enough for a printer driver is not only inane it just shows the incompetance of the people that made the driver.

    --------------------------------------------------

    B) Lexmark has had proprietary drivers _FOR_LINUX_ since the beginning of FOREVER.

    AT LEAST since 2002, probably before that.

    You know why most people did not know this? Because the drivers were shit and the installer was shit and it's far more cost effective for 99% of everybody out there to simple scrap the drivers and go with a company that properly supports Linux. So anybody with half a brain would not bring it up so to avoid confusing people and making Linux look worse then it really was.

    All this article should be talking about is the fact that Lexmark made their installer suck slightly less and added support for newer printers.


    -----------------------------------

    C) If you want a cheap inkjet printer, which the 'pro905' is just a consumer inkjet, and your using Linux then you should buy HP or, if HP does not have printers that can provide what you want, then get Epson and be carefull and make sure it has good support.

    Why? Because you just plug HP in and _GO_. That's it. No installers, no fiddling around with extracting the deb file out of some shit installer and doing a force install.

    If your capable of plugging in a USB connector then your capable of installing a HP printer in most decent Linux distributions.

    Oh, and unlike this printer, your scanner should work the majority of the time.

    -------------------------------------------


    What this driver is good for is people had the unfortunate mistake of buying a Lexmark Inkjet printer for Linux then they can probably get a chance at getting it working.

    But no... this is Lexmark just being Lexmark. They have provided proprietary drivers for Linux for close to a decade now and they've sucked and the installer sucks.

    It's just slightly less sucky now.

    Whatever you do do NOT purchase a Lexmark printer unless it's a business-style and has native Postscript support. Linux can talk to any postscript printer...
    Well said!! I agree 100%!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •