Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: X.Org Server 1.8.0 Is Here

Default X.Org Server 1.8.0 Is Here

Phoronix: X.Org Server 1.8.0 Is Here

X Server 1.8 is here. Being developed under a new process, this new X Server from the X.Org project was given a 31 March release date. It wasn't released on Wednesday as planned, but it's coming today -- just two days later. Based upon the sizable delays in earlier X.Org Server releases, this is not bad at all...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODExOA

Now if that this is hopefully stable I'd be happy to emerge it asap. And kick out hal.
    Just recently hald-addon-storage froze a box of mine randomly, out of nothing. Going to "101%" CPU, means I could barely log in and kick it or reisaub, the keystrokes took many seconds to get accepted. And I never liked these tons of fdi files anyway. The idea was nice but the reality turned out to be improvable. Good to see xorg is now doing without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adarion View Post
    Going to "101%" CPU, means I could barely log in and kick it or reisaub, the keystrokes took many seconds to get accepted.
    Sure it's not nice for a process to go haywire like this, but OTOH it looks like you also have a very flaky CPU scheduler. In the old times we used to run SETI@home at 100% CPU on 166MHz boxes and were able to type without problems.

Glad to see HAL dead. Anyone want to take bets on how long it takes fglrx to support it?

Quote Originally Posted by Vash63 View Post
    Glad to see HAL dead. Anyone want to take bets on how long it takes fglrx to support it?
    Hang on. I better get my tools out to prepare a rune stone. This site will not be around when that happens

Genesis actually describes fglrx support for 1.8. There's talk about seals being broken, the dead rising from their graves, support for X.Org 1.8, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Genesis actually describes fglrx support for 1.8. There's talk about seals being broken, the dead rising from their graves, support for X.Org 1.8, etc.
    I'm pretty sure that's Revelation you're thinking of.

As I've said before, I don't have any hope for fglrx. It should really be put out of its misery, and the resources supporting it should be directed toward the open-source driver.

Oops, yes, Revelation. Genesis is the other text, describing kernel 2.6.34 support

Quote Originally Posted by waucka View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's Revelation you're thinking of.

As I've said before, I don't have any hope for fglrx. It should really be put out of its misery, and the resources supporting it should be directed toward the open-source driver.
    a closed and open driver is actually good to have... now we have intel with an opensource driver, nvidia with a closed driver and ati with both.

Besides choosing a driver you can also choose you licence flavors

Why exactly is udev so much better than HAL?