Well, lets start with the question --- is it just for me? :-)
It's hard to describe. I compiled everything on an Ubuntu box, along with smplayer. It seems to work (it seems you need to disable screenshots in smplayer to make hardware acceleration work?).
Except... colors aren't right. Not really "wrong" as in red is green or something like thta, just slightly off. Often enough, faces are simply "too red" --- sometimes it changes in the middle of a scene, like someone flipped a switch and the face(s) get redder. It also happens with other colors, like in one instance where a "dungeon"ish room suddenly went a bit to the greenish side.
Originally I thought it was a driver problem (ATI on 785G), as drivers tend to do all sorts of "image improvements" nowadays that need to be turned off. I didn't really find anything, though.
Then I found out that things display just fine with xbmc. Which also has a better UI, but no hardware acceleration...
Basically you can configure xbmc to run external players for fullscreen too.