Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Songbird Linux Support Falls Out Of A Tree

i tried it around initial linux release and it was a bit too much of a kitchen sink for me. slow, big, difficult.

i pretty much forgot about the app already. i prefer simpler audio playback solutions, like mpd

Quote Originally Posted by mcgreg View Post
    Actually, Amarok 1 rocks. Amarok 2 is still like years behind Amarok 1
    Let's start a flamewar about this
    Anyway, Amarok rocks. Be it 1 or 2, they're both good enough for me now :P

What I fail to understand is why, it being based on open-source, portable components, they decided that the linux port will not be developed and some new features might not be implemented for linux. Am I wrong to thing that mozilla xul, gstreamer and all are easly portable? How much platform-specific code do they have? Why do they intend to add more platform-specific code (as apparent from their statement that some new features might not be there for linux at all)?

What is their business model? You know what they say: if you dont know what it is about, its about money. So who pays them?

Never really used the stuff, so no loss here. Tried it on Windows, but it was too shiny for me (I like minimalistic players).

Read some people talking about Phillips and some kind of library that is only available for Win and Mac, how much truth is in that?

Quote Originally Posted by mcgreg View Post
    Actually, Amarok 1 rocks. Amarok 2 is still like years behind Amarok 1
    I didn't use Amarok 1 for long time, but it's still probably the best audio player ever in my opinion and Amarok 2 is at the second place. Btw. afaik someone is porting Amarok 1 to KDE4

Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    I didn't use Amarok 1 for long time, but it's still probably the best audio player ever in my opinion and Amarok 2 is at the second place. Btw. afaik someone is porting Amarok 1 to KDE4
    Now that would be a revelation

First of all: Thanks for the news item that actually mentions that a community version still exists.
    The other news items I've read about Songbird said all that there won't be any Linux version any longer.
    That's simply not true. Songbird on Linux will now be treated like Songbird on FreeBSD: It'll work, but others have to create the packages.

Quote Originally Posted by lem79 View Post
    Doesn't Songbird modify your files without you knowing?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by misiu_mp View Post
    What I fail to understand is why, it being based on open-source, portable components, they decided that the linux port will not be developed and some new features might not be implemented for linux. Am I wrong to thing that mozilla xul, gstreamer and all are easly portable? How much platform-specific code do they have? Why do they intend to add more platform-specific code (as apparent from their statement that some new features might not be there for linux at all)?
    Support for external MP3 players is AFAIK completely platform-dependent.
    But as you already wrote: The majority of the code is platform-agnostic anyway. So it will work in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by misiu_mp View Post
    What is their business model? You know what they say: if you dont know what it is about, its about money. So who pays them?
    MP3 player manufacturers that want a branded version of Songbird with some exclusive features. Songbird itself is GPL-only so addons have to be GPL-compatible as well, but POTI (the company behind Songbird) has the right to re-license which means that they can develop proprietary addons.

Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    afaik someone is porting Amarok 1 to KDE4
    Only partially true. The port (Clementine) is to Qt4 which means that it not only integrates well into KDE SC 4, but also GNOME, Windows, and Mac OS X.
    http://code.google.com/p/clementine-player/

Good riddance. Also, what is with hiding the source? Nothing on download page, not found on a quick "songbird source" google search.

Oh, there it is, the *sixth* google entry on "songbird source".