Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: where to by a Opteron 6128+board

Default where to by a Opteron 6128+board

hi i try to buy a AMD Opteron 6128+board

i find the cpu@ geizhals http://geizhals.at/eu/a508671.html but i can't find any board...

i'm interested in a supermicro MBD-H8SGL or an dualsocket g34 tyan.

i can't find any socked g34 board@ geizhals or google..

HELP!!!!

I'm in the same boat. I work for a company that does CAE software development, and we're looking to build a new custom box. Newegg.com has the Tyan S8230 board listed, but not available.

If anyone has information on where to purchase a dual G34 board that's in stock, please let us know!

Quote Originally Posted by jjmcwill2003 View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I work for a company that does CAE software development, and we're looking to build a new custom box. Newegg.com has the Tyan S8230 board listed, but not available.

If anyone has information on where to purchase a dual G34 board that's in stock, please let us know!
    i think the problem is that the first mainboards directly goes into complete servers..

if this servers are all up the second step is to sale the main boards without a complete system ...

I do not get what you want as normal user with an opteron. The default frequency for the cheaper opterons is way too slow, you get only speed when you run apps which use threads efficiantly like compiling. The new X6 would be much more interesting when it would be true that it can run up to 500 mhz faster in turbo mode when other cores are idle. That has to be done in hardware of course and should not require win software to oc. Thats why i would like to test X6 - if somebody wants to send it to me for free, i certainly will NOT buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    I do not get what you want as normal user with an opteron. The default frequency for the cheaper opterons is way too slow, you get only speed when you run apps which use threads efficiantly like compiling. The new X6 would be much more interesting when it would be true that it can run up to 500 mhz faster in turbo mode when other cores are idle. That has to be done in hardware of course and should not require win software to oc. Thats why i would like to test X6 - if somebody wants to send it to me for free, i certainly will NOT buy it.
    hey a opteron 6000 is much faster than a phenomII X6!

thats because O6000 do have the double cache size and double ramspeed and the half latency!

be sure the 2ghz Opteron6000 8core beat the X6!

As it told you: it will only "beat" that cpu for apps which work best multithreaded, but not for you little gamer boy, games will run SLOWER.

As it told you: it will only "beat" that cpu for apps which work best multithreaded, but not for you little gamer boy, games will run SLOWER.
    i do not play normal games! i play cache and ramspeed needet games...

my games runs better on opteron 6000!

thats because a single opteron 6000 do have the 'double' of cache! and double ramspeed!

an dualsocket opteron6000 do have 4times more cache on an singletheatet app!

thats because its numa 1 core can use the L3 cache of ALL the other cores around the system!

ARMA2 for exampel its streaming system realy need the fastet ramspeed and up to 12 'cores' and really need much more cache and more ramspeed you ever can deliver!

be sure ARMA2 runs much faster on an Opteron6000 than on an PhenomII X6!

That would be the first game that can handle more than 3-4 cores. Also when your gfx card is too slow thats a much bigger bottle neck. Your cache calculation is just wrong, you need of course more cache for more cores than for fewer cores, that does not speed up the things. The more cores you have got the more problematic is the synchronization of the caches. That's why the X6 is not even faster than a i7-965 (not even a i7-980X needed) in first benchmarks. You really need to run highly independend workload on each core or your single app will definitely NOT run faster.

That would be the first game that can handle more than 3-4 cores. Also when your gfx card is too slow thats a much bigger bottle neck. Your cache calculation is just wrong, you need of course more cache for more cores than for fewer cores, that does not speed up the things. The more cores you have got the more problematic is the synchronization of the caches. That's why the X6 is not even faster than a i7-965 (not even a i7-980X needed) in first benchmarks. You really need to run highly independend workload on each core or your single app will definitely NOT run faster.
    "That would be the first game that can handle more than 3-4 cores."

Surprime Commander can handle 12 cores to if you patch the exe with an official multicore patch!

ArmA2+Surpime Commander do not use the cores for graphic stuff they use it for artificial intelligence AI for the enemy trupps and your own ..

S-C can handle 128kX128km maps and 50 000 trupps
    Arma2 can handle 128 multiplayer players and 225kmē and 1536 trupps every of this 1536 do have a AI a alone AI for every single trupp!

be sure on a CTI map a special automatik world war realtime stradegie map in ARMA2 use the 1536 trupps! on an 225kmē map! every trupp can handle tanks and air stuff and hundres differend weapons!

be sure on an arma2-cti map a opteron 6000 Outperforma your PhenomII completely!

My fastest cpu is a Xeon X3380 (4 cores 3166 Mhz), i am sure it would be enough, but i don't play those games Therefore it is not "my" Phenom II, but Opteron was never made for games - raw speed is needed there - a cpu below 3 ghz is just not usefull for general purpose nowaways, those a special purpuse server cpus.