Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Touring Chernobyl In 2010

Thanks guys for doing this article. i enjoyed reading it
    I myself would really love see and visit that place :P

Quote Originally Posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
    (and dump all of that "unclean" atomic waste and uranium into space
    No joke, one could do that AFAIK. It's radioactive out there anyway, just the atmosphere protects us. It's just that it's so damn expensive to fly 1 kg into space that it doesn't make sense. And the other disadvantages of this technology persist and it's still that uranium is like oil, in some time there will be nothing available any more. Also it's still damn dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
    It's just that it's so damn expensive to fly 1 kg into space that it doesn't make sense. And the other disadvantages of this technology persist and it's still that uranium is like oil, in some time there will be nothing available any more. Also it's still damn dangerous.
    Quoted for truth, it's expensive to lift anything with the current state of spaceship drives. If we had impulse drives, then it would be possible, but we don't have them, and the current rocket-based drives make it so the ship is already extremely heavy, and after launch fuel burns down making the ship a lot lighter yet having enough fuel to carry out the mission. If the ship was additionally loaded with waste, it would never lift off since it would need more fuel than it could carry.

Just wanted to point out that here we call the apartment flats "panelki" because they were assembled from prebuilt panels in factories, hehe.

An interesting fact is that the largest radioactive values, that were detected here, were during the May 1st manifestation when radioactive rain poured over the celebrating people. Of course the public did not know of any nuclear disasters.

Nice trip. I like how in that one "library" photo the most prominent book has English on the front page...

@Dragonlord
    So when are you moving into your cave? Guess we won't be seeing many more posts from you as I'm sure that you'll set an example for us all shortly.

Some of the reactors are also setup to produce certain types of isotopes for other uses.
    MSI GT725-074US:
    Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 4GB DDR2-800, 320GB 7200RPM WDC WD3200BEKT-22F3T0, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3, 8x Super multi DVD+/-RW, 1680x1050 (17"), 9 cell battery

Ubuntu 8.10 x86-64 (current updates) catalyst 9.3
    Windows Vista Home Premium 32b SP1 (current update) still on shipped catalyst(8.12 I think, MSI packed -- lazy)

Quote Originally Posted by cutterjohn View Post
    Nice trip. I like how in that one "library" photo the most prominent book has English on the front page...

@Dragonlord
    So when are you moving into your cave? Guess we won't be seeing many more posts from you as I'm sure that you'll set an example for us all shortly.

Some of the reactors are also setup to produce certain types of isotopes for other uses.
    Random posts are useless. What is your point?

very nice pictures Michael. It really puts it all into perspective. I too am a supporter of nuclear energy.

I love the photo tour-- I'd love to do such a thing myself someday.

Just curious about one thing-- on the last (9th) page, the second row from the bottom, middle picture of the clock st Pripyat's swimming center-- did someone deliberately move it to that time, or is it just a morbidly amusing coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlord View Post
    Random posts are useless. What is your point?
    Grow up. I expect that your next post will be interpreted through signal drums unless you were merely being facetious.
    MSI GT725-074US:
    Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 4GB DDR2-800, 320GB 7200RPM WDC WD3200BEKT-22F3T0, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3, 8x Super multi DVD+/-RW, 1680x1050 (17"), 9 cell battery

Windows Vista Home Premium 32b SP1 (current update) still on shipped catalyst(8.12 I think, MSI packed -- lazy)

Michael, do you speak Russian/Ukrainian or did you reall just take the trip for the hell of it?

(or have Ukrainian family?)
    MSI GT725-074US: