Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 68

Thread: Apple Rolls Out WebKit2, But No Linux Love Yet

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by perpetualrabbit View Post
    No, indeed it cannot be said that Apple is not staying within the bounds of the GPL or BSD licenses of software that they used as much of a base for OS X. But they only give back what they absolutely must, not one iota more.
    So I guess openCL, Grand central, cups, LLVM don't exist then in your limited vision.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Here is a newsflash for ya, the same can be said for even for GPL licensed projects. If the leads don't like what you are contributing they are free to reject it. If you want to see a perfect example of how this happens in opensource Google Con Kolivas, Rieser, Aaron Plattner etc and see how even in the GPL world when someone tries to improve the eco system of linux innovations are rejected on a pure discrimination of "I don't like it", not because of legal or technical merits just because of conflicting views.
    That's a straw man. Listen, we could go back and forth for 100 posts about how that's a different situation (hint: those developers would have to control the internet and block all legal distribution points for it to be comparable - IOWs, they'd have to be China). But I'm not going to get sucked into some fake argument you're cooking up here.

    So i'm just going to note that you pretty much agreed with my point that it is developer unfriendly and leave it at that.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    That's a straw man. Listen, we could go back and forth for 100 posts about how that's a different situation (hint: those developers would have to control the internet and block all legal distribution points for it to be comparable - IOWs, they'd have to be China). But I'm not going to get sucked into some fake argument you're cooking up here.

    So i'm just going to note that you pretty much agreed with my point that it is developer unfriendly and leave it at that.
    No the situation is that people are blinded to what ever they want to believe but in real life practice the situation is entirely different. The blind conception of "my shit don't stink because I use GPL" is nothing but self delusion.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    So Apple doesn't care about Linux and open source, what else is new? As Steve Jobs once said in an interview "We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas". So that's what they do, and make a lot of money of. If you don't want Apple or any other company 'stealing' open source code, use GPL.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU
    So it's OK for GPL to rip off other projects licensed under other terms? Why is it that if someone puts out something that is a direct rip off of a competitors efforts that as long as it is put under GPL it's deemed OK?

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    No the situation is that people are blinded to what ever they want to believe but in real life practice the situation is entirely different. The blind conception of "my shit don't stink because I use GPL" is nothing but self delusion.
    Why do you keep bringing up the GPL? It's like you're intentionally trying to go after another target because you know Apple's policies suck. Let's compare them to Microsoft, now that's a developer friendly company. Don't try to call me some GPL fanboy, because I'm not.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Why do you keep bringing up the GPL? It's like you're intentionally trying to go after another target because you know Apple's policies suck. Let's compare them to Microsoft, now that's a developer friendly company. Don't try to call me some GPL fanboy, because I'm not.
    LMFAO, Microsoft places just as many limitations on developers as any other company. One only has to look at their terms of redistribution to see that or look at what they say against projects such as wine.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by perpetualrabbit View Post
    . For instance the font hinting patents they have hinder the linux font engine to present good looking fonts, although I forgot what the issue exactly was. Something with cubic curves in fonts and also some patent having to do with font hinting. Also their legal steps against HTC are about trivial (non-)inventions that should not have be possible to patent in the first place. That lawsuit is seen by many as directed against google's android. Therefore it is a threat to linux and open source in general.
    I would also like to point out that patents do not stifle innovation. They stifle duplication.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    LMFAO, Microsoft places just as many limitations on developers as any other company. One only has to look at their terms of redistribution to see that or look at what they say against projects such as wine.
    Wow. Just..... wow. Do you really believe the stuff you're spewing out right now? You mentioned apple used to pay you, is that actually still the case?

    MS may try to keep people from copying their own products (yes, apple does this as well, and much more vigorously). But they have never once - please, try to give me an example here - declared that a company that has spent millions of dollars developing a product that they can't allow their users to run it on top of windows. Not once.

    Heck, for my taste MS is even a little too developer friendly - i think the platform would be better if they didn't put such a priority on maintaining binary compatibility with decades old code, but I can see why a 3rd party developer might like it.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    I would also like to point out that patents do not stifle innovation. They stifle duplication.
    That depends on the patent, of course. Some are good, some are bad. For example, the gene patents that a US judge recently struck down say that a company owns a human gene, and any invention or treatment anyone ever creates related to that gene in any way. As you can imagine, that results in less innovation because any other company looking at creating a treatment that involves that gene would just lose it anyway. But you're correct that some patents can be good. I'm in favor of fixing the patent system, not scrapping it entirely.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Wow. Just..... wow. Do you really believe the stuff you're spewing out right now? You mentioned apple used to pay you, is that actually still the case?

    MS may try to keep people from copying their own products (yes, apple does this as well, and much more vigorously). But they have never once - please, try to give me an example here - declared that a company that has spent millions of dollars developing a product that they can't allow their users to run it on top of windows. Not once.

    Heck, for my taste MS is even a little too developer friendly - i think the platform would be better if they didn't put such a priority on maintaining binary compatibility with decades old code, but I can see why a 3rd party developer might like it.
    And how many homebrew apps are running on a Xbox? Same limitations buddy if not more restrictive.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •