Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Autonomously Generating An Ideal Kernel Configuration

Hybrid View

Default Autonomously Generating An Ideal Kernel Configuration

Phoronix: Autonomously Generating An Ideal Kernel Configuration

While most Linux users are fine with just using the kernel supplied by their distribution vendor, there are some enthusiasts and professional users who end up tweaking their kernel configuration extensively for their needs, particularly if they are within a corporate environment where the very best performance and reliability is demanded for a particular workload...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODE0MA

wohahahaaaawwwww the performance god speaks to us..

in detail this will bring linux to the haven of performance!

nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    wohahahaaaawwwww the performance god speaks to us..

in detail this will bring linux to the haven of performance!

nice!
    Gentoo Linux users have been by modifying .config file settings by hand to get improved kernel performance for a long time. I do not think automating it will do much for Linux performance, although this will probably save time for Linux users that were already doing this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    Gentoo Linux users have been by modifying .config file settings by hand to get improved kernel performance for a long time. I do not think automating it will do much for Linux performance, although this will probably save time for Linux users that were already doing this sort of thing.
    Gentoo VS save time

if i use Gentoo my time is 'burn'

Gentoo VS save time

Nothing stops you from using Gentoo Linux and using this to automate the creation of your kernel .config file.

Hello everybody,

I was wondering if this module ever made it into phoronix-test-suite.
    If so, can anyone tell me how this module is called?

Greetings Psycho Game

Gentoo VS save time

Nice... xD

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Nice... xD
    This is not necessarily true.
    I run Gentoo on my main machine since 2006.
    and various binary distros on HTPC, laptops and of course two computers at my parents home.
    I had enough problems from each to say that Gentoo saves time in long run for me.
    All various incompatibility issues and wait 6 month or more to the next distro release or compile it yourself or use broken PPA (comunity for SuSe and whatever) caused me to spend much more time to maintain those Ubuntu/OpenSuse. Even Sabayon almost in the black list.
    So if you want the latest and greatest and don't want to reinstall your OS, I found Gentoo the most flexible, customizable and faster OS.
    And compilation time isn't issue anymore. They are short enough on my two years old C2Q + 8GB RAM. Mostly they comparable to binary installation.

Back to the topic. My .config probably started on 2.4.x
    it is reviewed and updated when:
    • New hardware installed
    • New kernel released with relevant (to my system) changes

I just like to keep it as small and simple as possible.
    But this might help to find how to make it even faster
    Thanks Michael, you are doing great job. I hope that it will reach the point where it can be used for "real life" benchmarks and not only compare the results with other machines.
    Like the HD playback. It meaningless with current files and you can not conclude if some system will or will not be able to playback blue ray movie based on this tests.

Gentoo VS save time

wrong. Gentoo saves time because you can automate as much as everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    Gentoo users are the best!!11! Nobody is performancyer! Also, Gentoo users are *not* presumptuous and ignorant! That is because Gentoo invented the source-based distro and even if there were others, Gentoo would have the best implementation, not only the best publicity! And binary distros can never be as efficient anyway. Because compilation is done in the background anyway so it uses no CPU, no memory and doesn't kill the climate!!!!!!