Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: There are many more readers than members

Quote Originally Posted by gordboy-fan View Post
    At last, a human post from someone that knows what he is talking about and is right on point.
    Sorry for calling you a "monkey auto bot" in your first reply here, you have proven me completely wrong.

The project still fails to deliver, but now I fully understand why, and also why it can't deliver anytime soon. But this is fair I think.

This is the end of gordboy-fan, cu guys.
    "This is the end of gordboy-fan"

uuhh yes! the end end end end of the end of gordboy,,,

"The project still fails to deliver,"

just ad this ppa ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa to your source list and the Project delivers the newest shit strait into your pc and pull you into the newest crack pushers shit

if you do that the dev team will write a '#i love you' into the source and the crack pushers team will send it directly into your pc in real 'love'

Quote Originally Posted by gordboy-fan
    The project still fails to deliver, but now I fully understand why, and also why it can't deliver anytime soon.
    Actually, I think that most of the heavy lifting has been done (at least for r500 and lower).

The Gallium architecture should make it a lot faster to add features such as OpenGL 3.x to new hardware, and we already have OpenGL 2.1, which was impossible before KMS. Most of the stuff needed for proper powersaving is already functional, and this should improve rapidly too.

Implementing the full OpenGL3+ spec will still take time, but I expect it to be faster now.

How many of you readers out there see the hypocrisy in those that rally against both gordboy and gordboy-fan.

Initially there was what gordboy was saying, and the way he was saying it. Many who didn't like what he was saying themselves resorted to discourse with him in the same way gordboy was carrying his conversation.

Then there are those who again are being unfair towards gordboy-fan. Possibly this is only because they don't like the facts (either valid ones or not depending on your point of view) that are being presented. What happened to being able to agree to disagre, but being prepared to defend someone's right to their own point of view? If we are adults we should be able to discuss the issues in a robust way without getting personal and when we find our own points of view challenged, instead of trying to shoot the messenger we should argue to the points that are raised instead.

There is a definite lynch-mob mentality developing in these forums which is very unbecoming indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by mugginz View Post
    How many of you readers out there see the hypocrisy in those that rally against both gordboy and gordboy-fan.

Initially there was what gordboy was saying, and the way he was saying it. Many who didn't like what he was saying themselves resorted to discourse with him in the same way gordboy was carrying his conversation.

Then there are those who again are being unfair towards gordboy-fan. Possibly this is only because they don't like the facts (either valid ones or not depending on your point of view) that are being presented. What happened to being able to agree to disagre, but being prepared to defend someone's right to their own point of view? If we are adults we should be able to discuss the issues in a robust way without getting personal and when we find our own points of view challenged, instead of trying to shoot the messenger we should argue to the points that are raised instead.

There is a definite lynch-mob mentality developing in these forums which is very unbecoming indeed.
    +1

But I see why the users of this forum (now including my), can have a hard time understanding gordboy's way of saying things. There are some basic social rules he didn't followed. I have read all gordboy's post, and he never realized what users tried to tell him in the start of the thread ("Be more polite, or we will mark you as a troll!"). Well after a while he got some really serious backfire, because he was marked as a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    But I see why the users of this forum (now including my), can have a hard time understanding gordboy's way of saying things. There are some basic social rules he didn't followed. I have read all gordboy's post, and he never realized what users tried to tell him in the start of the thread ("Be more polite, or we will mark you as a troll!"). Well after a while he got some really serious backfire, because he was marked as a troll.
    I see your point, though I'm usually prepared to look through the manner in which someone is conveying their points and instead focus solely on the points they're trying to make. But everyone has their own limits I guess. It can be challenging to keep your cool while someone is being quite aggressive in their manner but in the end it's usually worthwhile.

One of the best reasons to focus on someone's points and not their style though is that their style can become irrelevant if you're able to destroy the basis of their points . By the same token you can sometimes uncover little nuggets of gold in someones arguments which were initially covered in the mud of an ugly or aggressively forthright style.

I see your point, though I'm usually prepared to look through the manner in which someone is conveying their points and instead focus solely on the points they're trying to make. But everyone has their own limits I guess. It can be challenging to keep your cool while someone is being quite aggressive in their manner but in the end it's usually worthwhile.

One of the best reasons to focus on someone's points and not their style though is that their style can become irrelevant if you're able to destroy the basis of their points . By the same token you can sometimes uncover little nuggets of gold in someones arguments which were initially covered in the mud of an ugly or aggressively forthright style.
    Hi,

I am sorry to sound like a corporate tie-wearer (you may have already figured out that that is what I am ) but I have worked in the industry a fair few years, and I have never seen any problem solved by people having a shout at a team member who may or may not have messed up.

I'd love to hear lots of discussions about features and timescales and the chances to hit each of them given their complexities. That is fun and interesting and constructive.

Picking a controversial username and making emotional and generalised statements about the project's bugginess is not going to work. In fact, it is a waste of people's time, leading to people getting rather annoyed (you must realise that I have been following Mesa3D this site for a long time now and only now have created an account).

This may be a culture thing. I am personally not interested in being l33t or taking over the Universe with Linux. I have to look at the evolution of GPU cards to make predictions of what technology customers will be buying in five years time.

You know: I need to make money so that we can pay for people to work on projects, so that you get free ATI drivers

So, just for me, please remember that there are some serious people who are working in this forum... Maybe I'll play Quake on ATI one day, but for the moment I'd like to follow AMD's strategy on OS GPU computation assist in Linux and its integration into Opteron servers from agd5d and Bridgman!

This can't happen if their bosses at AMD were to tell them not to post here...

Excuse me, I've just seen so much trolling and ban evasion and continued trolling and the troll impersonating completely different people in my life that I've gotten pretty cynical. The core of the conversation was somewhat valid imo - something which was stepped upon after the accusatory comments stopped. Communication between end-users and developers is a tricky thing. Unless you strive to improve it all the time, it tends to degrade by itself. (since a degree of laziness is a human trait and people start doing things the easy way if possible) That is, end-users need to constantly keep up with a Sufficient (tm) level of background knowledge and developers need to give a Sufficient (tm) amount of information on what they're doing and what they're planning to do.

Quote Originally Posted by OneTimeShot View Post
    So, just for me, please remember that there are some serious people who are working in this forum... Maybe I'll play Quake on ATI one day, but for the moment I'd like to follow AMD's strategy on OS GPU computation assist in Linux and its integration into Opteron servers from agd5d and Bridgman!
    *shrug* I was just playing Nexuiz at 1920x1080 with full effects and texture compression set to quality on my 3870 with KMS and it seemed to still be playably fast. If I used the recommended effect levels, it was nice and smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    Excuse me, I've just seen so much trolling and ban evasion and continued trolling and the troll impersonating completely different people in my life that I've gotten pretty cynical.
    Trolling is a fact of life both in meat-space and the internet as we all know. I guess some just couldn't resist the urge to jump in (some with all guns ablazing themselves.) As for whether Gordboy-Fan is really Gordboy himself, I'm not prepared to make that leap without some real reason to think so.

The core of the conversation was somewhat valid imo
    Indeed the core may of had some merit or at least warranted an airing. I'm not a fan of the way he went about it though and obviously others weren't either. What I find interesting is that after a while others took the same tone and some could've been considered even worse than Gordboy at some points. It's hard for me to stomach the demands for him to be banned for a style of behavior that others were also displaying without those others also being banned. I guess I'm just a stickler for consistency.

- something which was stepped upon after the accusatory comments stopped. Communication between end-users and developers is a tricky thing. Unless you strive to improve it all the time, it tends to degrade by itself. (since a degree of laziness is a human trait and people start doing things the easy way if possible) That is, end-users need to constantly keep up with a Sufficient (tm) level of background knowledge and developers need to give a Sufficient (tm) amount of information on what they're doing and what they're planning to do.
    Well he was certainly being accusatory, but I personally don't think that in itself warrants bannage. Some made their points while remaining decent and others not so much. As always, if someone's saying something someone else doesn't like, one option is to counter their points with other facts but there's always an option for any of us to just "change the channel"

Hi,

I am sorry to sound like a corporate tie-wearer (you may have already figured out that that is what I am ) but I have worked in the industry a fair few years, and I have never seen any problem solved by people having a shout at a team member who may or may not have messed up.
    Yes, a shouting match is never the best way forward in order to achieve something constructive although I gather that Gordboy was trying to use a confrontational stance to try to effect change that he thought wasn't going to happen any other way.

I'd love to hear lots of discussions about features and timescales and the chances to hit each of them given their complexities. That is fun and interesting and constructive.
    Thankfully for the most part that's what goes on here.

Picking a controversial username and making emotional and generalised statements about the project's bugginess is not going to work. In fact, it is a waste of people's time, leading to people getting rather annoyed (you must realise that I have been following Mesa3D this site for a long time now and only now have created an account).
    Well his stance isn't exactly the best way to win friends that's for sure. It's easy to see red when it appears that someone's being confrontational or unfair which can lead to a loss of perspective in an observer leading them to themselves behave in a similar way. I think it would've been better for some to have simply walk away (not that this is an easy think to do by any means.

This may be a culture thing. I am personally not interested in being l33t or taking over the Universe with Linux. I have to look at the evolution of GPU cards to make predictions of what technology customers will be buying in five years time.

You know: I need to make money so that we can pay for people to work on projects, so that you get free ATI drivers

I myself have serious uses for my machine as well which is perhaps what drives some of the seriousness in which I take the issues surrounding Linux graphics.

This can't happen if their bosses at AMD were to tell them not to post here...
    I still think it's possible for the professionals that fequent these forums to ignore what one considers unfair statements and to instead continue to discuss things in the other more productive threads of which there are thankfully many .