Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AMD FirePro V8800 2GB

"but it is unlikely you would ever use the open-source driver on a $1,500 USD workstation graphics card within a production environment."

I would. Won't me, by buying this card support opensource drivers?

Opensource != Money

Opensource provides better scalability and better bug-freeness.

And nobody prevents ATI put GPL on opensource drivers, so no one can steal and cover the technology.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    "but it is unlikely you would ever use the open-source driver on a $1,500 USD workstation graphics card within a production environment."

I would. Won't me, by buying this card support opensource drivers?

Opensource != Money

Opensource provides better scalability and better bug-freeness.

And nobody prevents ATI put GPL on opensource drivers, so no one can steal and cover the technology.
    the problem of amd is if you buy a fireGL they count you as a cloused source user! i buy a VGA card only they count me as a windows user only because there is no linux-only edition..
    if you buy a card for linux and you need to tun windows to because wine runs bad on your card amd count you as a windows user...

the only way to get a right count for linux is to buy a Dell PC with ubuntu 10.04!

yes its not so funny.... but Buy DELL-Linux hardware is the only way to makes Clear Linux is the way to go!

amd's gpu linux count: 1,X% Linux :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    the problem of amd is if you buy a fireGL they count you as a cloused source user!
    >;(
    We need an answer from Bridgman..

i buy a VGA card only they count me as a windows user only because there is no linux-only edition..
    if you buy a card for linux and you need to tun windows to because wine runs bad on your card amd count you as a windows user...

the only way to get a right count for linux is to buy a Dell PC with ubuntu 10.04!

yes its not so funny.... but Buy DELL-Linux hardware is the only way to makes Clear Linux is the way to go!

amd's gpu linux count: 1,X% Linux :-(
    Why wine in first place?

You buy windows games and simulate closed-source only manufacturer nvidia if you buy for wine! Wine is not native graphics and not native gaming!

I actually have bought 4770 and sold 9800gt just because ati started to invest in opensource linux 3D stack!

I have already spent 350$ on amd hardware ONLY because they start to support opensource!

CPU AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.80GHz AM3 2MB 95W BOX
    MB GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H 785G AM3 mATX
    VGA 512MB PowerColor Radeon HD4770 GDDR5 PCIe
    (not counting RAM in)

I think the right count for linux is amount of software downloads from official gits(for source based) plus amount of package downloads for binary-based(debian, ubuntu etc). The best thing about linux - it is not bound to hardware in any ways.

So I say - Go AMD!

We don't treat FirePRO board sales any differently from consumer cards in terms of contribution to our understanding of Linux market share.

When we sell hardware we can't really tell whether it's going to be used with Linux or Windows, so we have to use other mechanisms to estimate market share.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    We don't treat FirePRO board sales any differently from consumer cards in terms of contribution to our understanding of Linux market share.

When we sell hardware we can't really tell whether it's going to be used with Linux or Windows, so we have to use other mechanisms to estimate market share.
    Hmm, maybe You could put "please register your card" on site and in the box and put multichoice "Whats your OS?" there? Ty for the answer!

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post

thats is in my point of view just wrong!

because: no one buy a 1300 fireGL "AMD FirePro V8800 2GB" card for the opensource driver!

really no one!

the best result for the opensource driver is a X1950 or a X850!
    the second best is a hd4350-hd4890
    the worst to fehl a opensource driver is a hd5000card

and really no one buy a FirePro V8800 for the opensource driver!

thats only because linux user ar not Dump!

linux userx mybe buy a linux edition or a shirt with an amd-linux logo or a feature ticket means if 1000 people buy this ticket amd pay devs to get this feature for linux.

"Why wine in first place? "

its just the extrem exampel how AMD really cound the market share of linux!

if wine on linux fails on amd cards all amd hardware buysers install windows as a second OS and amd count ist as a windows install!

and thats just wrong! because the people only install windows because amd fail supporting wine!

"I have already spent 350$ on amd hardware ONLY because they start to support opensource!"

they do not cound you as a man how only buy this because of the opensource support they cound you as a mean how needs the hardware thats all!
    linux man needs hardware and buy the cheapest one.. amd is the cheapest now amd think they can sell old hardware cheap to linux users...

they do not get the point that you allready have hardware! and you put your old hardware into the paper-box-garbage only because of BAD BAD cloused source...

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    >;(
    We need an answer from Bridgman..

Why wine in first place?

You buy windows games and simulate closed-source only manufacturer nvidia if you buy for wine! Wine is not native graphics and not native gaming!

I actually have bought 4770 and sold 9800gt just because ati started to invest in opensource linux 3D stack!

I have already spent 350$ on amd hardware ONLY because they start to support opensource!

CPU AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.80GHz AM3 2MB 95W BOX
    MB GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H 785G AM3 mATX
    VGA 512MB PowerColor Radeon HD4770 GDDR5 PCIe
    (not counting RAM in)

I think the right count for linux is amount of software downloads from official gits(for source based) plus amount of package downloads for binary-based(debian, ubuntu etc). The best thing about linux - it is not bound to hardware in any ways.

So I say - Go AMD!

"Why wine in first place? "

its just the extrem exampel how AMD really cound the market share of linux!

if wine on linux fails on amd cards all amd hardware buysers install windows as a second OS and amd count ist as a windows install!

and thats just wrong! because the people only install windows because amd fail supporting wine!
    No,thats wrong.

Wine is not equal OpenGL!
    Wine is a translator between WinAPI(DLL) to POSIX, and DirectX to OpenGL.
    Translator will always work slower than native and introduce bugs. Additionaly translator will introduce one system on another(it serves as a bridge) and bring other system nature on the host system(this means MS Eulas and viruses).

You see the difference?
    Native opengl app--->native opengl driver--->hardware.
    win32 dx app--->wine remap--->native opengl driver--->hardware.

For example take AlienArena or UrbanTerror - they dont require WINE, but require hardware opengl acceleration and graphic subsystem.
    Nvidia has both wine support and 3D accel, but wine support is because great portion of their code is actually windows drivers.
    Their code is closed source and they do not introduce or develop native linux code(vdpau is windows acceleration port, not something new).

Fglrx is a professional closed-source driver, because it has little of amd windows driver it is much worse to WINE, but for native games it is OK. Additionally it has 2D issues. I will not argue, it is crap.
    Also AMD and Intel work on opensource driver, which is exactly something that makes difference and made me switch to amd hardware.
    Intel hardware has upgrade issues in price and was generally more pricely for me. And me as the former owner of am586x133(OC to 160Mhz) and Intel Dx4-100, would say I prefer AMD more. I had contact with E5300 intel+nvidia combo and amd worked better (for me)

So if you want windows gaming on linux(do not confuse with linux gaming on linux) and you dont care about opensource and admit running with bugs (did I mention you still need a copy of windows,eula, for some applications to be emulated?), and accept lower than windows performance(nvidia drivers perform slower in linux, wine drops perfomance further) - then your choice is nvidia. If you buy nvidia card you support writing of nvidia drivers, which in essence are windows drivers.

Otherwise you go with amd card and put opensource driver on it; and support what they do in opensource. If you need windows games, you put windows and separate this two systems. My point is still for opensource driver to work out and start accelerating native linux opengl games, just as nvidia driver currently does. This is why I desided to buy amd.

Intel hardware is currently overpriced (for me) and hardware itself has barely any resources for opengl games.

Thats why I aborted nvidia hardware and drivers, including wine, and started supporting amd effort. I do think they care about people reactions on what they do. I dont think they write it just-for-fun.

"I have already spent 350$ on amd hardware ONLY because they start to support opensource!"

they do not cound you as a man how only buy this because of the opensource support they cound you as a mean how needs the hardware thats all!
    linux man needs hardware and buy the cheapest one.. amd is the cheapest now amd think they can sell old hardware cheap to linux users...

they do not get the point that you allready have hardware! and you put your old hardware into the paper-box-garbage only because of BAD BAD cloused source...
    No, I would go i3-540 + keep my gf9800gt if I would only need hardware. Because i3 actually requires less power for single job and pays itself back in a while. My single point of choice was only because amd supports opensource and nvidia bans lastest half-backed xorg-nv.

You can read further my post here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...1&postcount=90

Yes, I already had E5300 with 4Gb of DDR2-800. And both i3-540 and AII X4 630 were looking at me. Intel does some opensource job so I dont want literally to throw it into garbage-bin; I will sell it, but amd will become my money as I purchase their hardware.
    Regarding gf9800gt, yes, it is almost in garbage-bin, but because of its price ~80 its better be sold to some generic windows-user.

I put Arctic Cooling Accelero L2 on hd4770(I was unable to find xfx card) and it works pretty well. Im unable to pick hd5xxx, because its 3d part not yet supported in linux foss drivers.

Yes, I did this switch to amd only because of their recent actions to opensource; I initially planned to keep 9800 card(till nvidia announce nv drop).

thats is in my point of view just wrong!

because: no one buy a 1300 fireGL "AMD FirePro V8800 2GB" card for the opensource driver!

really no one!

the best result for the opensource driver is a X1950 or a X850!
    the second best is a hd4350-hd4890
    the worst to fehl a opensource driver is a hd5000card

and really no one buy a FirePro V8800 for the opensource driver!

thats only because linux user ar not Dump!

linux userx mybe buy a linux edition or a shirt with an amd-linux logo or a feature ticket means if 1000 people buy this ticket amd pay devs to get this feature for linux.
    I had two issues:
    - money, at least its 900 over my budget.
    - application point, I dont imagine where I can apply its performance in productive way.

So, if I'd to purchase v8800, I'd be correctly amd fanboy(all ego, no brains). But if I'd had that possibility I would put foss drivers on it. That would be 1 against {NUM_FIREPRO_OWNERS}. A good starting point