Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Another Hardware Vendor Joins The Linux Foundation

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chewi View Post
    You shouldn't have told me that. Now I'll have to resist the temptation to brick my TV.
    Life Sucks. Hack it?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Have a good day.
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KernelOfTruth
    We really should be grateful for that (it's very useful for study since my professors use lots of PDF files and also certain PDF ebooks only can be displayed correctly with the Acrobat Reader)
    Quote Originally Posted by CNCFarraday
    Uh, what planet are you from?

    Flash is a piece of s**t that gouges up 60% of a 2.8Ghz Phenom II and Acrobat reader takes ages to load and trashes and is unresponsive, compared to Evince, or any other PDF reader made by some guys at home for free, not by a gigantic billionaire corporation.

    Except for a VERY niche market of DTP and related, what does PDF offer over DJVU, for example ? The fact that they modify their proprietary format once in a while just a teeny bit so PDF authored with an updated version of Acrobat Professional don't display correctly in anything else except their pi$$-poor, cpu hogging, ram gouging reader?
    I guess you missed the central sentence of the post you were replying to, the one I copied above. That Evince and company are made by some guys at home for free shows badly. The idea that the quality of an application is to be measured by the package size, RAM usage or initial load time is ridiculous. If that's what matters to you perhaps you should consider using pdftotext and pdfimages in combination with cat and display to open pdf files. PDF is now an international standard, so your claims about Adobe changing "their proprietary format" for their own benefit are wrong. Not to talk about comparing pdf and djvu formats (similar to compare speex and Vorbis or FLAC): they don't solve the same problems.

    In their high priority free software projects, the Free Software Foundation lists GNU PDF in the first position, with the objective of "[...] develop and provide a free, high-quality, complete, and portable set of libraries and programs to manage the PDF file format (ISO 32000), and associated technologies". Their description of the PDF format goes on like this: "The PDF format is an international standard (ISO 32000) and current free software support for PDF contains few of the supported features. We believe that we urgently need a collection of free software PDF libraries and programs that can fully implement this standard and provide users with many of the features they are currently missing in their PDF applications, such as support for interactive forms and JavaScript validation, annotation support, and embedded movies and 3D artworkójust to name a few". Go tell them Evince is good enough. Or djvu.

    So yes, we should be extremely grateful that Adobe provides a high quality PDF viewer for Linux and Solaris in several formats for users' convenience. But even if you happen to dislike their product and don't use it, the discourse of hating a company for actually releasing their applications is ridiculous. I may not like OpenOffice or hate Quake III, but every Linux user should value positively that Sun and Id released their products for this platform. I don't know what would happen if we didn't have Flash from Adobe, perhaps Gnash would be more evolved or whatever. What I know is that I have access to a format that's ubiquitous on the internet; and no, I don't want to be out of that regardless of what the prevalent geek opinion is apropos of the technical merits of the format.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    55

    Default

    I won't even bother answering yotambien. His careful worded crap ("geek opinion", sounds like an with a MacBook Air and an MBA), his total willful ignorance on the subject of the quality of the Flash Player for Linux, his absurd claim that the resources used up by an application to do its task are irrelevant ( you drive alone in a giant SUV, by any chance, because resources consumed to do a task are irrelevant ? )

    The fact is that Adobe Corporation is enriching itself by externalizing the cost of a proper Flash plugin to users who are forced to buy far more powerful and expensive hardware which consumes more electricity.

    Put your post in your resume and try apply for platform evangelist at Adobe.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CNCFarraday View Post
    Except for a VERY niche market of DTP and related, what does PDF offer over DJVU, for example ?
    PDF-A.

    (Drat, don't quotes count towards the post length?!)

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Have a good day.
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CNCFarraday
    I won't even bother answering yotambien. His careful worded crap ("geek opinion", sounds like an with a MacBook Air and an MBA), his total willful ignorance on the subject of the quality of the Flash Player for Linux, his absurd claim that the resources used up by an application to do its task are irrelevant ( you drive alone in a giant SUV, by any chance, because resources consumed to do a task are irrelevant ? )

    The fact is that Adobe Corporation is enriching itself by externalizing the cost of a proper Flash plugin to users who are forced to buy far more powerful and expensive hardware which consumes more electricity.

    Put your post in your resume and try apply for platform evangelist at Adobe.
    You are always on time to rectify and show that you are a mature fellow. Nobody is going to think you are an idiot or an ignorant for doing so. I'm not so sure about it if you limit yourself to twisting my words and insulting me instead of tackling my arguments. My previous post remains unchallenged in its entirety.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)
    Posts
    629

    Default

    @CNCFarraday:

    you know what ? to back up the statement I gave I give you another example:

    show me only "ONE" example from the open-source world of an PDF viewer that is able to print a selected range of pages, e.g.

    10,11,13,28,29,30,42,43 (out of 44)

    each qt4-(or qt3)-based reader isn't able to do so because of the restrictedness of the underlying toolkit

    the only one that was able to do so for me was Adobe's Acrobat Reader

    if you want only open(source)-ish software on your box I'm fine but don't scare/annoy away companies you're dependent on (since they're simply no valid alternatives) if you want to work productive with Linux Distributions !

    @Adobe:

    THANK YOU !

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
    @CNCFarraday:

    you know what ? to back up the statement I gave I give you another example:

    show me only "ONE" example from the open-source world of an PDF viewer that is able to print a selected range of pages, e.g.

    10,11,13,28,29,30,42,43 (out of 44)
    Huh, Evince will do that just fine. Nor have I in years encountered a situation where Evince had a problem opening or rendering a PDF file. So for me I have no need for Adobe's pdf viewer.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    Huh, Evince will do that just fine. Nor have I in years encountered a situation where Evince had a problem opening or rendering a PDF file. So for me I have no need for Adobe's pdf viewer.
    ah - going the gnome route

    thanks monraaf !

    unfortunately there are still some rendering (rather printing than rendering) problems with evince from time to time for me

    so that font (text) disappears in the print-out

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,102

    Default

    On the qt side, a guy is working on patching qt to get advanced printing into it. I can't remember if he's finished page ranges or not, but I think so. Has to wait until the next version of qt before it can go in, though.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    55

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
    ah - going the gnome route
    Ignorance is bliss.

    As I've said, except for the DTP niche who can stay where it is now (Apple) open source alternatives to Adobe's binary, bloated crap are better for PDF.

    Now, anyone up to thank Adobe for Flash Player? Anyone with a Mobile Core i7 Extreme feeling like playing Desktop Tower Defense in Flash on Linux x64?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •