Thread: Nouveau Is Power Hungry On Desktops Too

Default Nouveau Is Power Hungry On Desktops Too

Phoronix: Nouveau Is Power Hungry On Desktops Too

This morning we talked about the real need for Nouveau power management as with a notebook bearing a NVIDIA GPU this open-source NVIDIA driver can easily consume 10~30% more power than using NVIDIA's official binary driver. While power management is more important on the mobile side, a quick test was carried out on a desktop too...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODE1Nw

Michael,

What's up with the rounded cables? :S

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Michael,

What's up with the rounded cables? :S
    They're nice, priced well, etc. Got a problem with rounded tables?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    They're nice, priced well, etc. Got a problem with rounded tables?
    Tables? You meant Cables, right? *just in case we might misunderstand each-other*

The problem with rounded cables is that they tend to easily break, causing transfer speed to be incorrect. I heared about interference too, but I can't site/find any credible source for this.

But I don't understand why someone who tests a lot of hardware would use rounded cables, unless it's your production system.

However I have realy bad experience with rounded cables in terms of quality;
    1) They break
    2) Plugging/ unplugging these things are a bitch
    3) They do not bend that well (got better airflow results with flat ones, if done right)

I don't know... It's never advised to use these things by anyone I have spoken and I have realy bad experiences with the physical quality of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Tables? You meant Cables, right? *just in case we might misunderstand each-other*

The problem with rounded cables is that they tend to easily break, causing transfer speed to be incorrect. I heared about interference too, but I can't site/find any credible source for this.

But I don't understand why someone who tests a lot of hardware would use rounded cables, unless it's your production system.

However I have realy bad experience with rounded cables in terms of quality;
    1) They break
    2) Plugging/ unplugging these things are a bitch
    3) They do not bend that well (got better airflow results with flat ones, if done right)

I don't know... It's never advised to use these things by anyone I have spoken and I have realy bad experiences with the physical quality of these things.
    Whoops, thought you said tables to begin with... Wasn't sure why someone would have a problem with L-shaped desks.

I rarely ever use any IDE drives, but when I do it's usually rounded cables and never have any problems.