Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Notice More Articles This Week At Phoronix?

@karl
    It's not better than donation because it makes me to expect something and it turns out useless.
    I'd better just donate as I donate to Wikipedia and the feeling of self-satisfaction would not be spoiled by failed expectations.
    And better yet is make it work right (if someone really likes it how it is now - make it configurable) - grant someone who supports Phoronix with slight more pleasing experience of surfing the site.

one way to _do more_ would be for example if there would be another version of RSS feeds that would publish special links to the articles, that when opened would try to log you in first (if you are not already logged in).

for example one link from rss looks like this:
    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=...%28Phoronix%29

a new parameter on the link could be added that would tell vr.php to try to log the user first (if is not already logged in).

and like you or somebody else mentioned maybe to have an option to the control panel if you prefer single page or multi page articles.

but in the end I think the important thing here is that if you like the website and you want to support it you can either disable adblockplus and noscript for this site or pay the subscription.

Could the rss feeds point to the article's forum thread rather than the article itself ? The first post in the thread always includes a link to the article itself anyways, and going to the forum thread first would give you automatic login even with the current implementation.

The real fun happens in the forum thread anyways

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Could the rss feeds point to the article's forum thread rather than the article itself ? The first post in the thread always includes a link to the article itself anyways, and going to the forum thread first would give you automatic login even with the current implementation.

The real fun happens in the forum thread anyways
    Actually, great idea John. That could be another approach:

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/exter...S2&forumids=41

There you go.

That looks real good - the title goes to the forum post with automatic login *and* there is a direct link to the article as well.

Lightbulb Or...

Premium users get to have OGG html5 video streaming instead of youtube and options for higher/lower res pcitures?

Or would that kill the profit?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Actually, great idea John. That could be another approach:

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/exter...S2&forumids=41

There you go.
    The problem with this is that the links have an &goto=lastpost
    In case of a multi page thread, you then need to go to the first page to get the article link and then click on the link to get the article.

Also, for me personally, this approach is worse because while on slashdot is the rule for ppl. to not read the article for phoronix is the opposite. I always first read the article and then, maybe, I go to the forum for the comments.

I thought the same as you at first, but then I noticed the link was actually *newpost* and so since I had already read all the article-related threads I was going to the last post. I believe the same link should go to the *first* post of an article we haven't read yet, but I'll need to wait for a new article whose thread I haven't read yet before I can see if that works

@Michael
    Is there really no simple way to do it somehow more hassle-free? I'd be very happy to see all articles non-paginated by just clicking on titles or going there from RSS.

By the way, despite all interface nuisances contents is great! Thank you for your hard work!

@bridgman: you are right, it's "newpost" but like I said, it goes to the last post (so for multi-page threads is not good).