Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major OS Showdown w/ Windows Tests Are Imminent

Default Major OS Showdown w/ Windows Tests Are Imminent

Phoronix: Major OS Showdown w/ Windows Tests Are Imminent

While this year we have already delivered a number of notable articles and benchmarks, right now we are on the heels of delivering our most extensive set of benchmarks yet. We are in the process of comparing the performance of Windows 7 x64, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, and Mac OS X 10.6.3 (likely FreeBSD 8.0 and OpenSolaris 2010.03 too) across multiple systems. By early May the first of these numbers will be published...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODE2Ng

I am eagerly waiting for these benchmarks. Tough I fear that the Linux ATi side will get a beatup.

I'm getting really excited because of this,...I have a baaaad,feeling that Linus T. was right with saying Linux is bloated and i can guess that Ubuntu will exploit that just fine,...and people will draw very bad conclusions about Linux in whole,...I just hope that they know that Linux is actually on their freaking PHONES,..and MSN and Yahoo and rest of the crowd runs it in cluding Apple !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kUrb1a View Post
    I just hope that they know that Linux is actually on their freaking PHONES,..and MSN and Yahoo and rest of the crowd runs it in cluding Apple !!!!!
    afaik yahoo runs freebsd, and if you are talking about apple, darwin is also a bsd system. where the hell does msn use linux??

Quote Originally Posted by dstaubsauger View Post
    afaik yahoo runs freebsd, and if you are talking about apple, darwin is also a bsd system. where the hell does msn use linux??
    They have run Linux on the MSN servers for a long time. I don't know if they still do though.

BTW, I don't understand why you guys are excited about the tests. Aren't the results obvious?

Linux will win the GPU benchmark when Windows 7 uses the standard windows certified gpu drivers. That is because those have bad OpgenGL support (I believe they only support up to openGL 1.2).

If Michael decides to download the latest drivers from NVIDIA and ATI (which is the Windows way) then Windows will beat the living hell out of Linux graphics whise.

The rest of the benchmarks will show the familiar sight of Linux being much more efficient with recources and thus faster then Windows.

Both nvidia and ATI Linux drivers have near identical 3D performance in Windows and Linux, bugs aside. WINE performance doesn't really count, since WINE is, well, WINE . Provided the most recent drivers for both nvidia and ATI are used using apps. that run natively on both operating systems (and no major bugs are present, which is a bigger concern for fglrx), I expect 3D performance in Linux vs. Windows to be similar (give or take a few frames).

My guess is that windows will win most 3d performance tests and will positively slaughter linux on 2d tests, provided (a) the proper ICDs are installed and (b) the tests utilize full hardware acceleration on both platforms (and not something half-assed such as the win32 port of GTK+).

Linux will likely win disk and threading benchmarks, although single-threaded performance should be close enough. Video performance should be identical or slightly better on Linux/nvidia but significantly worse on Linux/ati&intel. Browser performance will also be lower on Linux (both firefox and chromium perform worse there. Opera 10.52 is amazingly fast but it's still an alpha on Linux, so...)

We'll know for certain in a couple of weeks.

Default Why Ubuntu?

They are always 6 months behind everything. Use a rolling release distro instead like Arch.

Phoronix tests primarily on Ubuntu because that is what actually matters. (And they also test on Fedora and openSUSE when it makes sense).

Much as I like Arch, it is much less relevant in the grand scheme of things - and I'm saying that as a loyal Arch user. Besides, its rolling nature makes it very difficult to obtain meaningful, reproducible benchmarks (one day you get those results, next day they are no longer valid).

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    Linux will likely win disk and threading benchmarks,
    I wouldn't be so confident about that considering that the latest versions of windows are stomping on linux in webserving according to some sites and especially the performance hit that is incurred with the ext4 filesystem default that has bee adopted by so many distros.