Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XFX Radeon HD 4350 DDR2 1GB PCIe will it work on ubuntu

Default XFX Radeon HD 4350 DDR2 1GB PCIe will it work on ubuntu

I am looking at a new system and just starting with a linux based OS.
    I a newb with linux. I am thinking of starting with Ubuntu

Now i read that Ati Radeon cards work with ubuntu
    Would this XFX Radeon HD 4350 DDR2 1GB PCIe still work with the radeon drivers for ubuntu.

Mainly i want to get World of Warcraft running on ubuntu.
    I havnt bought the system yet. Its a barebones system bundle that i will put together my self. But the graphiccard that comes with it is
    XFX Radeon HD 4350 DDR2 1GB PCIe.

Does anyone got any help for me?

The card will work out of the box (and have 3D on Lucid), but you'll need the proprietary ATI driver (fglrx/Catalyst) to play WoW ( http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonProgram )

Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    The card will work out of the box (and have 3D on Lucid), but you'll need the proprietary ATI driver (fglrx/Catalyst) to play WoW ( http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonProgram )
    Asus M4A785-M Motherboard
    AMD Athlon II X2 240 Dual Core Processor
    Kingston 2GB PC5400 DDR2 Memory
    XFX Radeon HD 4350 Video Card
    500gb Western Digital WD5000AAKS Caviar Blue Hard Drive
    PowerUp ATX Black Mid-Tower Case with 450-Watt Power Supply

I checked that website link it says the r700 sucks for World of warcraft??? Confused

Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    Still i am confused. The link you gave me says the r700 drivers make it so you can run World of Warcraft very poorly. Is that site out of date?

Or am i missing something?

I would like to start with ubuntu/linux based OS but seems like thats not going to be an option for playin WoW. But i have Seen youtube videos of people running WoW on linux OS

That link refers to how programs run with the open source drivers, not the binary (fglrx) drivers. DanL is saying that you need the proprietary drivers to run WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Daygobah View Post
    Still i am confused. The link you gave me says the r700 drivers make it so you can run World of Warcraft very poorly. Is that site out of date?

Or am i missing something?

I would like to start with ubuntu/linux based OS but seems like thats not going to be an option for playin WoW. But i have Seen youtube videos of people running WoW on linux OS
    There are Ubuntu users here and someone will probably comment. Hopefully, someone will confirm but I believe you have to uninstall the open source radeon driver and install the binary (aka fglrx) driver when you want to play WOW.

There's a link at that Xorg page to the FGLRX driver info.

I think Ubuntu has the Restricted Driver Manager so you would run that and it should install the binary ATI driver.

Maybe an explanation of how to switch driver is in order? Just install/uninstall, right, guys? If you want to watch video, the radeon driver is better? An uninstall of the binary driver and the radeon driver is in the repository (where your packages are - check Synaptic Package Manager) will then be used.

I probably said too much but I'm debating upgrading my card to an ATI one so I'm sticking my nose in. Hope something I posted helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    Maybe an explanation of how to switch driver is in order? Just install/uninstall, right, guys? If you want to watch video, the radeon driver is better? An uninstall of the binary driver and the radeon driver is in the repository (where your packages are - check Synaptic Package Manager) will then be used.

Kano abaut ubuntu 10.04:
    "Btw. do you know the correct way to swith from fglrx to mesa or back? This is different than before as you can switch simply using:
    Code:
    sudo -i
    update-alternatives --config gl_conf
    ldconfig
    update-initramfs -u
    rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf*
    To switch to fglrx do this additonally:
    Code:
    aticonfig --initial --nobackup
    Then just reboot. Be sure that the kernel you use has all needed kernel headers and is not newer than 2.6.32 for fglrx without any hack. "

Quote Originally Posted by Daygobah View Post
    I checked that website link it says the r700 sucks for World of warcraft??? Confused
    radeon opensource driver+R700 suck because only openGL2 and wine need ogl2.1!

the best card for radeon is (X800/r300)to(x1950/r500) this cards do have r300g means Gealium driver with openGL2.1

the R700 can handle WOW because of the FGLRX cloused source driver.

but not every wine versions brings the same good result i think 1.1.37 is good...

I believe you have to uninstall the open source radeon driver
    never! you never uninstall the radeon opensource driver because you can use it as a fallback..

Just install/uninstall, right, guys?
    ubuntu have a installer system/systemsettings/hardware-drivers
    just start this and klick on 'aktivate' to install the FGLRX

If you want to watch video, the radeon driver is better?
    you can fix the most players by using openGL output only some players like flash in firefox cant do this yes for that the radeon work better.

i think catalyst 10-6 fix some viedeo problems to

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    Kano abaut ubuntu 10.04:
    "Btw. do you know the correct way to swith from fglrx to mesa or back? This is different than before as you can switch simply using:
    Code:
    sudo -i
    update-alternatives --config gl_conf
    ldconfig
    update-initramfs -u
    rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf*
    To switch to fglrx do this additonally:
    Code:
    aticonfig --initial --nobackup
    Then just reboot. Be sure that the kernel you use has all needed kernel headers and is not newer than 2.6.32 for fglrx without any hack. "
    Seems/sounds complicated but okay. So, it can detect and you can instruct which one you want to use?

I don't want to spread false info (RE: my previous post) and I was just asking what to do. It is good to know in case I buy an ATI card myself. Thanks for correcting...