Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Proof In Steam's Mac Client Of Linux Support

Default Proof In Steam's Mac Client Of Linux Support

Phoronix: Proof In Steam's Mac Client Of Linux Support

We have our hands on the bash launcher used by Valve's Steam client for Mac OS X that was recently announced -- along with the Source Engine for OS X -- and is currently in closed beta. While such scripts are usually insignificant, there is something interesting within it and that is explicit support for Linux.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=14823

If this is true I'll be able to play my source games once again. (I refuse to use wine) Which will be awesome!

Good things come to those who wait :-)

They do focus on Apple right now, because Apple wants the showlight, Valve gets the money. But Linux support will happen as the next step of the Steam evolution.

i think it's just for servers, where valve will ship a unified *nix package

There's been rumors about internal Linux builds, but that doesn't mean that they plan on releasing it. I'd love to be proved wrong though...

It's a poor script -- the uname command will return Linux on any architecture I'm pretty sure, which seems at odds with what looks like assuming a 32 system..

Quote Originally Posted by whizse View Post
    There's been rumors about internal Linux builds, but that doesn't mean that they plan on releasing it. I'd love to be proved wrong though...
    ++

Half-life 2 the last FPS I actually enjoyed playing. I'd love to play ep3 natively on Linux.

I'm not surprised that they run and test Steam/Source games on Linux at Valve, but how long it takes them to make Steam on Linux available outside is another question altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by sloggerKhan View Post
    It's a poor script -- the uname command will return Linux on any architecture I'm pretty sure, which seems at odds with what looks like assuming a 32 system..
    Is there a 64 bit Windows build of Steam? Perhaps they only have a 32 bit Linux build at the moment.

Yaaaaay!

Also, submitted to Slashdot.