Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yet More Signs Of Valve's Steam On Linux

Quote Originally Posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
    I'm skeptical of this info. It lists X360 as well, but I'm pretty sure Steam isn't coming to the Xbox.
    They already had to sort of porting for the Xbox. Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2 and The Orange Box are ported on to there, so they've implemented some back end for those games to work. They probably have a hacked up steam client library that allows L4D to use it's built in lobby system with Live.

Might have some more news to post shortly... Or may wait till tomorrow due to the already bunches of Steam news today.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Might have some more news to post shortly... Or may wait till tomorrow due to the already bunches of Steam news today.
    Please do tell!

What's this all about anyway? Isn't steam just the client for that DRM crap??

It's just DRM crap... calling it a client would be a bit far fetched :P

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I'd like to know as soon as possible, thanks for all the hard work on your research!

Quote Originally Posted by not.sure View Post
    What's this all about anyway? Isn't steam just the client for that DRM crap??
    While all DRM is bad, Steam actually is fairly unnoticeable. Valve lets you install the game on as many computers as you like, but only one can be connected to their network at a time. Unlike Ubisoft's DRM you can actually play offline too.

I'd take that over not having the games at all.

It'd be great if Valve had even a closed beta for the Linux client. I'm sure there are plenty of Phoronix viewers that would love to get in on that. Even if they only had one game working it'd be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by srg_13 View Post
    While all DRM is bad, Steam actually is fairly unnoticeable. Valve lets you install the game on as many computers as you like, but only one can be connected to their network at a time.
    Maybe more specific, if you have more than one game in your steam account and you installed steam on more than one computer, you can play one game on one computer and another game on another computer, both with the same steam account.

Can people stop with that "offline" myth? It's not working... never has... never will.