Been following this thread, in excitement to see what you great people are able to do with the Linux build.
I have a theory.
You know before Valve announced Steam on Mac, they posted a bunch of pictures of Valve games in Mac Ads, to tease all the Mac fans.
Well do you think this is Linux Users teaser to Steam on Linux. Since Linux users are traditional geeks and coders, we get given an uncompleted build of Steam, and they expect us to hack it to work out how to get it working. Once we get it working, they will official announce that steam is coming to linux.
Instruction by Kame:
1. Get latest steam linux client files and put them in a clean folder
2. Download http://www.jnumbers.com/mirror/steamui.patch and put it in the linux32 directory
3. run bspatch steamui.so steamui.so steamui.patch
4. Creat steam.cfg in root steam folder, and add "Universe = store.steampowered.com/public/client/steam_client_linux"
5. run LD_PRELOAD=./linux32/steamui.so ./steam.sh