View Poll Results: Would you switch to AMD, if AMD implements full opensource OpenGL3.2+ stack?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I will.

    65 82.28%
  • No, I stay Nvidia and enjoy binary blobs.

    9 11.39%
  • I dont know.

    5 6.33%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 88

Thread: Nvidia deside to abadon opensource, I deside to abadon Nvidia.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    In all fairness the second link you posted regards the r300g driver, looking at the commit logs and the copyright of the source files this driver is mostly an effort of Corbin Simpson and Marek Olk. A third party effort not much to do with AMD. I think something similar is going for NVidia cards with the nouveau driver.
    For the Gallum3D Driver the free docs are used and the DRM Kernel Module. Without it the 3D driver didn't work.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    187

    Default

    My desktop and previous 2 laptops all used AMD/ATI. My current laptop uses Nvidia and frankly, it has been a lot less hassle to use their blob.

    It seems that the majority of people who post on these forums are enthusiasts, and the majority of enthusiasts are gamers. I just wanted to point out that there's a large population of users who don't use OpenGL (don't even know or care what it is), all they need is for their computer to let them run office apps, surf the web, and watch videos.

    On this score, AMD still has a lot of catching up to do on the Linux front. This absence of support is going to keep more users on either Nvidia or Windows, neither of which is a good thing as far as open source advancement goes. fglrx/XvBA is also a joke, it hardly supports any video cards, so even AMD/closed source is not viable on Linux.

    For the vast majority of computer users, ATI+Linux has zero value today. That bums me out quite a lot, I would prefer to be using all AMD/ATI. But on the hardware side (laptops) the products aren't there, and on the software side, the support isn't there.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    It shouldn't be too long until the r600g (Gallium3D) development starts though, fun times
    It has already been started in Jerome Glisse's private branch.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,136

    Default

    well i have to say, amd fusion is a killer solution. from the killer bang for the buck Athlon II/Phenom II CPU, to the mobos with AMD chiset and the cheap really fast GPU's. the only thing AMD is missing to make fusion a reality in the linux side is the completion of the basic GL 2.1 support in the OSS driver (very close btw in mesa 7.9). so dont desperate

    as a note Xorg 1.8 is rocking too

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlandsun View Post
    My desktop and previous 2 laptops all used AMD/ATI. My current laptop uses Nvidia and frankly, it has been a lot less hassle to use their blob.

    It seems that the majority of people who post on these forums are enthusiasts, and the majority of enthusiasts are gamers. I just wanted to point out that there's a large population of users who don't use OpenGL (don't even know or care what it is), all they need is for their computer to let them run office apps, surf the web, and watch videos.

    On this score, AMD still has a lot of catching up to do on the Linux front. This absence of support is going to keep more users on either Nvidia or Windows, neither of which is a good thing as far as open source advancement goes. fglrx/XvBA is also a joke, it hardly supports any video cards, so even AMD/closed source is not viable on Linux.

    For the vast majority of computer users, ATI+Linux has zero value today. That bums me out quite a lot, I would prefer to be using all AMD/ATI. But on the hardware side (laptops) the products aren't there, and on the software side, the support isn't there.
    Yes, if you would carefully scroll through the pictures, you would notice I was Nvidia user, exactly because the only trouble is installing the blob.

    But then, nvidia closes lastest opensource, all nvidia does is using windows driver on linux and remapping calls to it(including vdpau). This has no way any future on linux, it is more like patching linux OS to support their windows driver.

    What do you do on linux? There is barely any native gaming, 3D wine does not count too(because it is windows on linux). And nvidia kind of writing drivers will never allow linux to outperform windows, just because nvidia is a windows driver. Correct kernel integragtion, 2D, powermanagement, basic opengl 3D are there, in opensource. By whom? I have a lot of friends that use AMD on graphics linux and it is usable.
    I personally have installed Xubuntu on Asus A6rp netbook with AMD xpress 200M chipset 2 years ago and 3D acceleration worked and was sufficient for compiz. It worked with opensource drivers. It works.

    I never like to speak for majority, because individual human is always clever, but once there is a bunch - they react stupid. Majority comes to never goes to PC shops either, they buy Dell(or similar), they dont care about OS, dont care about hardware, they even dont care about programs. They care they can surf internet, play games and listen music. Only once they start paying for antivirus, become hacked, their system dies and they pay to repair it and realise they have to pay bug amount of money to renew software licenses they start thinking and asking and this way they come to linux. Such people will never change anything - they are inertia, critical mass. It was microsofts goal to rich critical mass. Watch here:
    0:30 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La_u1jPLOIA

    I dont want WINE to claim it is linux interface for programmers, I dont want developers use WINE and say their program is for linux. This is plain WRONG, there is SDL!

    I dont want to buy nvidia cards, that do not care about linux and handle it as a second hand OS. Even if nvidia linux-crew does amazing job at remapping, they do not represent the company.

    I acknowledge gnu/linux as much more advanced method and technology for software development and do not want windows for the future. This is why I stop supporting them via any traces.

    Thats why I sold nvidia card and bought AMD card with similar perfomance. This wasnt part of upgrade, it was part of support. Im individual, I think and I support. I dont eat at McDonalds btw(maybe except McFlurry ), so Im happy to not belong to the brainless "mass".

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Yes, if you would carefully scroll through the pictures, you would notice I was Nvidia user, exactly because the only trouble is installing the blob.

    But then, nvidia closes lastest opensource, all nvidia does is using windows driver on linux and remapping calls to it(including vdpau). This has no way any future on linux, it is more like patching linux OS to support their windows driver.

    What do you do on linux? There is barely any native gaming, 3D wine does not count too(because it is windows on linux). And nvidia kind of writing drivers will never allow linux to outperform windows, just because nvidia is a windows driver. Correct kernel integragtion, 2D, powermanagement, basic opengl 3D are there, in opensource. By whom? I have a lot of friends that use AMD on graphics linux and it is usable.
    I personally have installed Xubuntu on Asus A6rp netbook with AMD xpress 200M chipset 2 years ago and 3D acceleration worked and was sufficient for compiz. It worked with opensource drivers. It works.

    I never like to speak for majority, because individual human is always clever, but once there is a bunch - they react stupid. Majority comes to never goes to PC shops either, they buy Dell(or similar), they dont care about OS, dont care about hardware, they even dont care about programs. They care they can surf internet, play games and listen music. Only once they start paying for antivirus, become hacked, their system dies and they pay to repair it and realise they have to pay bug amount of money to renew software licenses they start thinking and asking and this way they come to linux. Such people will never change anything - they are inertia, critical mass. It was microsofts goal to rich critical mass. Watch here:
    0:30 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La_u1jPLOIA

    I dont want WINE to claim it is linux interface for programmers, I dont want developers use WINE and say their program is for linux. This is plain WRONG, there is SDL!

    I dont want to buy nvidia cards, that do not care about linux and handle it as a second hand OS. Even if nvidia linux-crew does amazing job at remapping, they do not represent the company.

    I acknowledge gnu/linux as much more advanced method and technology for software development and do not want windows for the future. This is why I stop supporting them via any traces.

    Thats why I sold nvidia card and bought AMD card with similar perfomance. This wasnt part of upgrade, it was part of support. Im individual, I think and I support. I dont eat at McDonalds btw(maybe except McFlurry ), so Im happy to not belong to the brainless "mass".
    get the point wine is one of the best software pices in the opensource world..

    thats because if microsoft makes a game like "Helo" they do it windows only to support there 'windows'/xbox360 platform

    but now a smart linux guy installs wine and playes Helo without buying windows..

    its not abaut the game its abaut the freedome of use whatever you want! and no company like microsoft can stop you!

    microsoft do not wana build a linux version of M$ office because they hate linux`? no problem install wine and use M$office if you wana use it..

    if you find an old win98 game to play and microsoft do not support win98 anymore no problem get linux+wine and play the game..

    wine is just the last final bulled into the body of Microsoft!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    get the point wine is one of the best software pices in the opensource world..

    thats because if microsoft makes a game like "Helo" they do it windows only to support there 'windows'/xbox360 platform

    but now a smart linux guy installs wine and playes Helo without buying windows..

    its not abaut the game its abaut the freedome of use whatever you want! and no company like microsoft can stop you!

    microsoft do not wana build a linux version of M$ office because they hate linux`? no problem install wine and use M$office if you wana use it..

    if you find an old win98 game to play and microsoft do not support win98 anymore no problem get linux+wine and play the game..

    wine is just the last final bulled into the body of Microsoft!
    Try to understand me, I hold you for wrong in many points.

    Wine is great way to launch windows applications that have no ports or no equivalents on linux.
    It is also great way to show that linux is capable and faster that windows.
    But this is where it ends.
    Microsoft releases a game(actually not microsoft, but Bungie - the developer) only for microsoft(nothing new) with only-microsoft renderer(directx).

    1) Now you buy this game(you support microsoft and tell bungie it is sufficient to release only microsoft code).
    1a) You do not send email to the company(bungie) asking to release linux version.
    1b) Releasing or supporting linux stack is unnecessary, there is wine. Wine becomes official "interface" to linux. Wine implements microsoft technology.
    2) You also buy windows, but you dont install it. You need to have one copy of windows to accept license for fonts, .NET and many more things. You buy and dont use, or you buy and use - where is difference?
    3) You pay microsoft for windows to use wine, you pay microsoft for directx, you pay bungie for windows game and dont tell bungie you need linux version. In best case bungie asks you to use wine next time. Wine is NOT MAJOR part of linux, but thanks to you no games will work in linux without WINE.
    4) You cannot use lastest AdobeCS4 and Microsoft Office only because of this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software) "Microsoft and Wine"
    and because of DRM. Proprietary software installs numerous copyprotection systems that root deeply into the system and require them to run. Linux is the opposite of DRM. It is developed differently. Thats why using windows software on linux is very bad for linux.

    You get and support windows games, windows(for license), put windows on linux, put wine on linux, play with bugs. You support closed source for linux.

    I sell nvidia card so AMD implements linux stack. Only because of opensource I switch cards. I support open source for linux. I do not want wine or anything windows run on linux.

    Everyone is free to choose.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    1) Now you buy this game(you support microsoft and tell bungie it is sufficient to release only microsoft code).
    Really? you are sure? i give you a point: i vote the 'Pirates' in german/eu for parlament..

    ;-)

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    1a) You do not send email to the company(bungie) asking to release linux version.
    yes only because i do not wana help ;-)


    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    1b) Releasing or supporting linux stack is unnecessary, there is wine. Wine becomes official "interface" to linux. Wine implements microsoft technology.
    the effect in the end is simpel: microsoft is going out of business!


    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    2) You also buy windows, but you dont install it. You need to have one copy of windows to accept license for fonts, .NET and many more things. You buy and dont use, or you buy and use - where is difference?
    thats just wrong! you do not need the fonts!
    wrong again you do not need any lizence for 'mono' (.net)

    be sure microsoft do not get any single cent from me!


    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    3) You pay microsoft for windows to use wine, you pay microsoft for directx, you pay bungie for windows game and dont tell bungie you need linux version. In best case bungie asks you to use wine next time. Wine is NOT MAJOR part of linux, but thanks to you no games will work in linux without WINE.
    you are just wrong ;-)


    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    4) You cannot use lastest AdobeCS4 and Microsoft Office only because of this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software) "Microsoft and Wine"
    and because of DRM. Proprietary software installs numerous copyprotection systems that root deeply into the system and require them to run. Linux is the opposite of DRM. It is developed differently. Thats why using windows software on linux is very bad for linux.
    you are wrong again! (really again)

    i do not know any working drm solution and i do not know any working copy-protection solution.



    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    You get and support windows games, windows(for license), put windows on linux, put wine on linux, play with bugs. You support closed source for linux.
    do you know the word wrong? you are wrong!



    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    I sell nvidia card so AMD implements linux stack. Only because of opensource I switch cards. I support open source for linux. I do not want wine or anything windows run on linux.
    Everyone is free to choose.

    you call me a nvidia user in the past only because i'm a wine user...

    get the point: wine is 1 of the best Opensource-software !

    not the first... but really the top10!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Yeah, ok, Im very wrong.

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Thats 350 invested in your hardware as an appreciation of what you do to opensource community! Thanks AMD!
    This seems like a waste to me. Your old hardware was fine and you have no idea what would be available when you actually needed new hardware. By that time, AMD could have abandoned open source with Nvidia embracing it.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •