Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 88

Thread: Valve Pulls Its Unreleased Linux Client From Server

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaestroMaus View Post
    The sheer amount of people that are willing to trade in opensource drivers for binary drivers here is staggering. It is also totally unrespectfull to the ATI devs who are sticking their necks out for us.

    Did you guys ever concider using Windows? It seems you don't care about opensource anyway.
    Don't get me(us) wrong. I would really really like to use the OSS driver. The reality of it is that my HD4850 performs more like an HD4850 with FGLRX than it does with the OSS driver at this time. With the higly progressive rate of the OSS driver; there will be little reason to use FGLRX in the near future.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rbmorse View Post
    A better question would be what demand they are expecting from Linux users who would actually pay money for software and services.
    World of Goo sales seem to suggest that there is quite the demand for Linux games. After 2 days, Linux version downloads had already accounted for 4.6% of all downloads. That's 4 times the percentage of Linux users worldwide, so apparently Linux users are more likely to buy games than Windows users.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rbmorse View Post
    A better question would be what demand they are expecting from Linux users who would actually pay money for software and services.
    I would suggest that in raw data, there is probably a lot more pirates in the windows camp than on Linux percentage wise. One of the many reasons I use linux is so that I don't have to pirate windows. After paying good money for 95, 98, 98se and a couple of XP oem licenses, I don't see the value in paying money again and again to a giant that I don't want to support, and that frankly doesn't give 2 $#!7s about any of their users and their needs as long as their stanglehold on the market is strong.
    And I have 152 games in my steam games list.

    For most users using ubuntu, the games on steam vs the OSS games in the repository represents an unfair advantage in favour of steam for the most part; because that's where the money is. The equasion is also pretty simple: money = better games.

    I'm sure there will be plenty of paying users from the Linux camp.
    Even if Linux only accounts for 2%~ish of the desktop market. I'm sure that 1 year after steam come to linux, that 2% might look more like 4-5%.

    I find it quite genius that Valve is coming to linux even if it ends up costing them a lot in the short run. Getting a great big foothold before mass adoption is sure to win them the market when it develops. And I was ridiculed not too long ago for suggesting that Steam might make it's way to Linux fairly soon :P I WIN!

  4. #44
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Germany/NRW
    Posts
    510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [Knuckles] View Post
    Btw, @Zhick, you say that Heroes of Newerth is working with r300g? When did that happen? Last time I tried it crashed after hitting 100% of the game loading screen.
    Have a look at this thread. Essentially it's working since a few days, and hasn't been broken yet. So quickly go grab a git-snapshot and get to compiling.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    28

    Default

    I agree with BlueKoala. I use Linux and I don't pirate software. While I support the F/OSS ideals, I am also pragmatic. Honestly, if GNU/Linux cost money and Windows was free, I would pay for former, simply because I feel it provides a nicer computing experience and fits my needs better. I also have spent roughly $1000 dollars on steam games over the past years and I would love to play them (or at least a subset of them) on Linux.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RCL_ View Post
    Don't you see that premature exposure hurts the case?
    that's called «premature assumption» !

    (In your face, pal )

  7. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barbarbaron View Post
    Tell this to amd/ati guys. They are the obstacle between us linux users and an active linux gaming.
    funny, i seem to recall half life 2 and portal running quite well on AMD hardware / Catalyst - and that was in wine, and on integrated graphics, i would imagine the situation would be far better with it running natively.

    sure, from current reports i would imagine evergreen hardware might have some issues - but r600/700 hardware should have no problem with the games....

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by energyman View Post
    EXACTLY. And all they get is bitching.
    ...
    and if you think fglrxy sucks, you are free to help to make the OSS driver perfect. So people have no reason to bitch around.
    Not sure what's your point.
    If ATI wants to compete on my money (And I'm not talking about one workstation a year...), they can and -should- do better. I find it unacceptable that their binary driver has yet to support Xorg 7.4 (F12) when 7.5 is out (F13 in ~2 weeks) and 7.6 is on its way.

    Of-course, they could choose to drop their binary driver, and like Intel (Minus Poulsbo [sp?]), go fully OSS driver.

    Make no mistake - I respect ATI/AMD's decision to release the complete documentation and help the development of the OSS driver. Trust me when I say that if the R800 drivers were to give ~50% of the performance of their Windows counterparts, I wouldn't have been sitting on the pre-order list for GTX 470's...

    - Gilboa
    DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB, GTX780, F20/x86_64, Dell U2711.
    SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F20/x86_64, Dell U2412..
    BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F20/x86-64.
    LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F20/x86_64.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaestroMaus View Post
    The sheer amount of people that are willing to trade in opensource drivers for binary drivers here is staggering. It is also totally unrespectfull to the ATI devs who are sticking their necks out for us.

    Did you guys ever concider using Windows? It seems you don't care about opensource anyway.
    We're talking about running binary only games on Linux. What does it matter if we use binary only drivers for those games?

    You see, it's not just drivers people are making the trade-in with. Once you make one exception to run a closed source program, what's the difference if you run additional closed binaries? (You've already excommunicated yourself from the pure, open source only, absolutists.)

    There are plenty of good reasons to use Linux over Windows. Gaming isn't one of them, but people would like that to change because there are such good reasons to use Linux over Windows. Having source is one of the many good reasons for using Linux. While it's a darned good reason, it's not the only reason. Now this may be offensive to some, but it's true. More people use Firefox because it is a decent browser than because it is open source.

    If it upsets you that someone would choose quality over source availability, too bad. Not everyone is an uncompromising absolutist.

    Also, not everyone who chooses to run a closed binary (be it a game, driver, or even Adobe's Flash plug-in) is a freedom hating bastard. Many that choose such a compromise would prefer not to and are supportive, enthusiastic, contributors to open source projects. It's not that they don't care about open source. It's that they don't care about it with an exclusive all or nothing attitude.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,676

    Default

    Basically I think steam on Linux would attract more gamers to pay for games they could play on their favorite plattform.

    But i do not understand what that client has to do with grafic drivers. Does it feel better to play a game with slower fps/less effects on pure FOSS drivers? Usually in world of benchmarks driver developers try to tune everything to increase speed to have more fps than the competitor as people usually pay money more for highest speed. Just in the Linux world some people self restrict their decisions by open source/documentation announcements, while it is absolutely sure that parts of the chip will not be unveiled like the uvd parts and will never be feature complete.

    And those ppl will most likely complain then that the games would run too slow compared to what their are used to - all because of idealogy. What's good about that?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •