Thread: Mesa Slowly Gets Better OpenGL 3 Coverage

Hybrid View

Default Mesa Slowly Gets Better OpenGL 3 Coverage

Phoronix: Mesa Slowly Gets Better OpenGL 3 Coverage

While OpenGL 3.0 was announced in August of 2007, nearly three years later its coverage in the open-source Mesa stack is lacking even while the 3.1/3.2/3.3 revisions have been introduced and OpenGL 4.0 was already introduced this year. Slowly but surely though, the open-source developers are making progress in implementing OpenGL 3.x support for Mesa...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODE4OA

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    ...hopefully this summer we will see Mesa's core and the DRI drivers picking up more OpenGL 3.x support and ideally the emergence of the long-awaited Gallium3D state tracker.
    While it is indeed a long-awaited feature I think you have no basis for the emergence of a gallium state tracker. Unfortunately I haven't seen any plans even proposed not to mention started yet.

Please don't misunderstand me, because I really cheer for this to happen, but at this point your statement is just a vague prophecy...

Quote Originally Posted by HokTar View Post
    While it is indeed a long-awaited feature I think you have no basis for the emergence of a gallium state tracker. Unfortunately I haven't seen any plans even proposed not to mention started yet.

Please don't misunderstand me, because I really cheer for this to happen, but at this point your statement is just a vague prophecy...
    The state tracker already exists, does it not? I have OpenGL 1.5 support with Nouveau, and they only provide a Gallium3D driver.

First things first - ATI needs to finish OpenGL 2.1 / GLSL 1.2 for r600 and optimize KMS/DRI2 (or do we have to wait for r600g?)

Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    First things first - ATI needs to finish OpenGL 2.1 / GLSL 1.2 for r600 and optimize KMS/DRI2 (or do we have to wait for r600g?)
    Not really, these things usually happens in parallel.