Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eyefinity Ubuntu Lucid

Hybrid View

Default Eyefinity Ubuntu Lucid

I am looking at getting a 5870 eyefinity 6 edition card. The drivers in ubuntu lucid (10.04) say they support eyefinity.

From what I can see these (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3V6BK4D0HKA8F) mini-displayport to vga adapters should work.

What I want to do is setup a 4x1 eyefinity setup of 1920x1200 monitors for a total of 7680x1200. That is supposed to be a supported resolution option.

Will this work without xinerama or anything like that? Will stuff like composite work? Right now I have dual 8800 GTS nvidia cards with xinerama and it is pretty slow mostly because of lack of composite. When I tried it with xgl long ago it was very very fast but crashed a lot. Eyefinity is supposed to solve this problem.

I don't really care if compiz actually works although that would be nice. I mostly want to not use xinerama anymore as a primary feature and allow kde to work across all 4 monitors as one desktop. My secondary feature would for it to be much faster then the current xinerama setup which is not hard to beat. I would love if it supported composite correctly so that desktop effects could be enabled in kde since that also makes it run a heck of a lot faster when I tested that using just two monitors.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by koshcu View Post
    I am looking at getting a 5870 eyefinity 6 edition card. The drivers in ubuntu lucid (10.04) say they support eyefinity.
    really? is it in the package summary or something? please confirm

Quote Originally Posted by fluxion View Post
    really? is it in the package summary or something? please confirm
    It is in the changelog that I found it. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...ler/+changelog just look in there for eyefinity and it says it supports it. It was also reported on this site a while ago but no idea if someone actually tested it. It could be a bad changelog.

I am really hoping it works because I am tired of xinerama with two nvidia cards. However I won't order one until I know that eyefinity actually works under linux.

You can use at most two of the cheap passive DisplayPort to DVI adapters. Connecting further monitors requires native DisplayPort or expensive active adapters (usually marketed as "DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI").

Quote Originally Posted by chithanh View Post
    You can use at most two of the cheap passive DisplayPort to DVI adapters. Connecting further monitors requires native DisplayPort or expensive active adapters (usually marketed as "DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI").
    I was not planning on using displayport to dvi. I was planning on using displayport to vga. From what I read all displayport to vga adapters are active because they have to be to create the vga signal. They just power off the port since they are very low power. In the widescreengaming forums people report that they do work for eyefinity.

My monitors don't even have dvi input. They have vga, hdmi, composite and a few others but no dvi. The displayport to hdmi stuff active adapters are pretty expensive and when I have tested my monitors with vga input vs hdmi input at 1920x1200 I can't see any difference so the vga adapters seemed like the best option.

hdmi is the same as dvi technically - just buy a cheap cable if you need dvi on one side.

Well the 5870 eyefinity 6 has 6 mini displayport connectors. To run 4 monitors 2 of the connectors must be active connectors. Active dvi/hdmi connectors are $100 but active vga connectors are $10 and the quality output between hdmi and vga seems to be identical.

It just seems to make more sense to use 4 mini displayport to vga adapters then active dvi/hdmi ones. It is far far cheaper and at least on my monitors I have I can't see any difference between hdmi and vga connections. On my 8800GTSs running my monitors at 1920x1200 with either hdmi or vga the output looks exactly the same to me.

Quote Originally Posted by koshcu View Post
    Active dvi/hdmi connectors are $100 but active vga connectors are $10 and the quality output between hdmi and vga seems to be identical.
    I really doubt that. Have you tried displaying high-contrast images or grid patterns? With VGA, there's often ghosting and moire patterns. Especially at high resolutions, the VGA interface wasn't really meant for those bandwidths.

At least that is my experience with a recent (~1.5 years old) 1920x1200 TFT monitor. 1024x768 works fine, but at 1920x1200 the image gets really ugly.

There's also something about apple adapters, from what I heard they depend on some specific capabilities of the GPU only found in apple products, i.e. they don't work anywhere else. Not sure though, I never tried.

You're right about eyefinity: no server-side Xinerama, acceleration across all monitors without trouble. If eyefinity is fully supported, that is - I haven't used more than 2 monitors so far.

There's only two solution to have >=3 monitors without Xinerama: get a card with enough outputs (eyefinity) or get a matrox triplehead2go (you could call it a dvi splitter).

It does seem strange but I have 4 Westinghouse L2410NM which are PVA screens. I get no moire patterns or any other distortion switching back and forth between hdmi input and vga input. I have even done stuff like just switching the monitor back and forth between the two inputs with the same desktop up on both inputs and could not see any difference at all in images, text etc.

I know those adapters say they are for apple stuff on that page but I did some searching around and people where using them with eyefinity cards also without problems apparently. There are some short stuby ones that are displayport to vga that people have some problems with but overall work. The mini displayport one though that I gave a link to is supposed to work much better since it hands over all the EDID information among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    hdmi is the same as dvi technically - just buy a cheap cable if you need dvi on one side.
    I can tell you from personal experience, you won't be able to do more than 2 non DisplayPort Monitors. The only other way would be with an Active Adapter which is over $100.00 each.